1852Re: [json] JSON Propositions

  • Jos de Jong
    Jul 10, 2012
      Your propositions looks very clear. However, I think it is a bad idea to
      change JSON. JSON definitely has weak points (such as no predefined
      structure for a table), but changing the standard will break everything
      there is, which is far worse.

      your first and second proposition are just about making it more flexible to
      *generate* JSON, at the cost of making *parsing* more complex and thus
      slower. I don't think there really is a problem with having to use double
      quotes anyway, and thus nothing to solve here. A third party JSON parser
      may allow unquoted or single quoted keys, and internally change them to
      double quotes, things like that.

      You are right with your third proposition about storing tables more
      efficiently, however, I would rather choose to define a table standard on
      top of JSON instead of adjusting JSON itself. (see for example the Google's
      DataTable <https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/reference>format).