1819Re: Operator-overloaded JSON API: best way to handle arrays?

  • wjosdejong
    Feb 20, 2012
      Maybe it is useful to have a look at how this is implemented in Javascript, where JSON originally comes from. In Javascript you really need to define arrays and objects, there is no implicit creation of arrays/objects.

      I think implicitly creating arrays is quite tricky. For example, if you look at
      jsondoc["foo"][1]["bar"] = "harhar";
      the type of the key (String or Number) determines if an object or an array will be created...

      I think it is better force explicit creation of arrays and objects, that will not lead to misconceptions.

      Jos

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Rob Meijer <pibara@...> wrote:

      > A while ago I wrote the JsonMe++ wrapper library. Currently a wrapper
      > for the parsing part of the glib JSON C library.
      >
      > https://github.com/pibara/jsonme--
      >
      > JsonMe++ provides an API that heavily uses operator overloading, cast
      > operators and value semantic proxies to provide
      > a bit of a scripting language like API for parsing JSON.
      >
      > Now I would like to continue working on JsonMe++ by expanding the API
      > with the possibility of also creating JSON
      > rather than just parsing it. Handling objects seems quite simple and
      > natural to do simply by adding some assignment
      > operators to the API.
      >
      > Handling arrays however has got me a bit confused. Do I stick to an
      > API with as little as possible 'named', node level methods?
      > It does seem to have a lot of merit to keep the node API without named
      > methods, but this will require me to handle
      > sparse arrays, what might or might not be a good idea.
      >
      > Basically I could make the API work like:
      >
      > jsondoc["foo"][1]["bar"] = "harhar";
      >
      > And let, if jsondoc was empty still, create a new json object with a
      > foo memeber that is a sparse array with an empty index 0 element
      > and an object index 1 element that has a "bar" member with value "harhar".
      >
      > Alternatively I could make the API so that the above would need to be
      > expressed as:
      >
      > jsondoc["foo"].append();
      > jsondoc["foo"].append()["bar"] = "harhar"
      >
      > I don't know if one of these would be better, or if there would be a
      > third alternative that would be more suitable.
      > I would be very interested in learning what others think.
      >
      > Rob

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic