1597Re: JSON and the Unicode Standard

    Feb 26, 2011
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:

      > Mark Slater scripsit:
      >
      > > The RFC does state that parsers can limit the numbers they accept to
      > > a specified range of their choice, just as they can impose a limit on
      > > the size of strings, if they want. In practice, some libraries apply
      > > unwritten limits to the range of numbers along the lines of "the range
      > > (set?) of numbers that can be represented as a Java double."
      >
      > I think that limit is implied by the statement in the "Security
      > considerations" section that says that JSON is a subset of JavaScript,
      > where numbers are clearly constrained to IEEE 64-bit floats.

      That's not quite right. JSON says nothing at all about number representations. All it knows is sequences of digits with the occasional decimal points. JSON says nothing about 2's complement vs signed magnitude integers, and it says nothing about word size or binary vs decimal.
    • Show all 35 messages in this topic