156Re: Comments

    Dec 26, 2005
      These were the reasons for removing comments:

      First, comments turned out to not be very useful.

      Second, comments were the most difficult feature to support in JSON
      parsers. By removing comments, support for JSON in other languages
      became much easier.

      Third, removing comments aligns JSON more closely with YAML, allowing
      YAML to become a JSON superset. Generally, standards tend to splinter.
      It is interesting to see these two merging.

      Fourth, I saw examples of comments used to carry information, with an
      expectation that applications would have to have custom comment
      parsers and generators. That was not a pattern that I wanted to encourage.

      As I have said before, I don't anticipate any further changes to JSON.
      I think stability is now the most important feature.
    • Show all 42 messages in this topic