1306Re: [json] Glad to be here, some questions?

  • Kris Zyp
    Jul 21, 2009
      Tyler Close wrote:
      > On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Kris Zyp<kriszyp@...
      > <mailto:kriszyp%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > > gearond@... <mailto:gearond%40sbcglobal.net> wrote:
      > >> (1) When sending a new record to a service, via POST, do you:
      > >> (a) append the raw JSON string below the HTTP headers, etc using
      > >> which mime type?
      > >>
      > > RFC 4627 specifies application/
      >
      > json (and I highly recommend that you
      > > follow that advise)
      >
      > From a practical perspective, it is better to label your POST entity
      > as Content-Type "text/plain", since this will be handled more
      > efficiently in cross-domain requests from the browser. See:
      >
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/#simple-method
      > <http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/#simple-method>
      >
      > Following the RFC will cost you an additional network round-trip for
      > every unique URL in your application.

      Yikes, recommending inaccurate media types? This easily leads down the
      hideous road of content sniffing. Hopefully that wouldn't be suggested
      for same-origin communication where media types can be accurately
      specified. Of course when it comes to cross-domain there tons of hacks
      that we have to resort to, JSONP, window.name, fragment identifiers, so
      standards do indeed have to tempered with practicality. But, CS-XHR is
      supposed to provide a better road, seems a shame we are already seeing
      hacks laid on it :/.

      > AFAICT, very few JSON services use application/json, so your code
      > should be tolerant of responses with other Content-Type header values.

      Yes, the web is awash with abuses, so it is wise to be tolerant of
      JSON HTTP/REST client (JsonRestStore) does properly set the Content-Type
      to application/json for same-origin PUT and POST requests. Needless to
      say that is the client I would recommend :). (of course I am biased, and
      I am sure web_send is good as well, Tyler's work is excellent).

      Kris
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic