1218Re: [json] Performance of JSON libraries

  • Fang Yidong
    Feb 19, 2009
      Sorry this message is intended to send to Tatu only. My bad.
      Since the result is not published yet, let's discuss it privately.

      Hello Tatu,

      While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver. java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

      The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.

      I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

      Here's my opinions:

      1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

      2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

      3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStream ing.java did?

      I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

      Thanks.

      Yidong Fang