1153Re: [json] A Javascript interpreter

    Aug 18, 2008
      On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Mert Sakarya <mertsakarya@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I know that this is not a group for Javascript, but this one is the closests one that I can ask questions.
      > There are many Javascript interpreters around, mainly Browsers and engines like SpiderMonkey or Microsoft's JScript.
      > I like Javascript a lot, but everyone has implemented Javascript for their own needs and for their own environments.
      > Is there a stand-alone implementation of the language with all the libraries? I want to use Javascript as my main development platform, I want to include libraries for socket programming, Networking and accessing to the file system.
      > In short I want to use Javascript like, PHP, Perl or Python but not within a specific environment.
      > If there isn't any, why hasn't anyone thought of that?

      You might get better answers if you asked this on a javascript mailing list.
      This list deals with JSON, which while inspired by javascript's
      syntax, is not directly related to javascript.

      But as to the question: If you did work on Java platform, you could
      use Rhino. It is very easy to integrate when running on JDK 1.6. So in
      context of JVM (which can run multiple other scripting languages, not
      just Java), Rhino would be a stand-alone component.