Dreamweaver JSLint extension / command

  • martijnbeulens
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 17, 2009
      After working with JSLint for a while i got tired from copy pasting my JS code into jslint.com, so i searched google for a dreamweaver JSLint plugin.
      Did not find it though, so created my own.

      It's an initial version, but i tend to update it if i find bugs or when extra features are needed.

      I called it DWLint.
      You can download an installer or the source from this page.

      http://dwlint.abisvmm.nl/

      Hope it's useful to someone.

      Martijn Beulens
    • samckayak
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 17, 2009
        Thanks for posting this.

        Worked the first time. DW CS3.

        Sam
      • samckayak
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 18, 2009
          Martijn,

          For validating JavaScript coded in a document head, could this add-in be setup to validate only the selected code, or perhaps only the code embedded in script tags?

          Sam
        • martijnbeulens
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 18, 2009
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "samckayak" <samc@...> wrote:

            > Martijn,
            >
            > For validating JavaScript coded in a document head, could this add-in be setup to validate only the selected code, or perhaps only the code embedded in script tags?
            >
            > Sam

            Sam,

            A selection could be possible, only your line numbers will not match?
          • samckayak
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 18, 2009
              > A selection could be possible, only your line numbers will not match?

              If the base line number of the selection can't be added, then the line numbers are the same as those displayed by jslint.com, no better or worse.

              What do the add-ins for other editors do?
            • Greg Raven
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 19, 2009
                I've never used the DW version, but JSLint validates HTML, too, so why not run the whole file through? This way, your line numbers will be correct, and you might even catch an error outside of your Javascript.

                --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "samckayak" <samc@...> wrote:

                > Martijn,
                >
                > For validating JavaScript coded in a document head, could this add-in be setup to validate only the selected code, or perhaps only the code embedded in script tags?
                >
                > Sam

              • samckayak
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 19, 2009
                  I just tried pasting several valid XHTML pages in JSLint and couldn't get past the DOCTYPE.

                  If it validates HTML, what am I doing wrong?
                • pauanyu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 20, 2009
                    --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "samckayak" <samc@...> wrote:

                    > I just tried pasting several valid XHTML pages in JSLint and couldn't get past the DOCTYPE.
                    >
                    > If it validates HTML, what am I doing wrong?

                    Does it validate properly at http://jslint.com/? If so, then it's likely a problem with DWLint. If it doesn't work even in the web interface, we'll need more information. I validate all my HTML pages in JSLint and it works fine.

                    P.S. I use <!DOCTYPE html>, if it makes any difference, though I have validated with different DOCTYPES.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 20, 2009
                      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "samckayak" <samc@...> wrote:
                      > I just tried pasting several valid XHTML pages in JSLint and
                      > couldn't get past the DOCTYPE.
                      >
                      > If it validates HTML, what am I doing wrong?

                      XHTML is not HTML. JSLint only validates HTML.
                    • Greg Raven
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 20, 2009
                        That's weird. The Yahoo Widgets version of JSLint handles (X)HTML files just fine. Copying and pasting into the on-line version generates all kinds of error messages.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 21, 2009
                          If found that sometimes the source is being copied from the dreamweaver cache. This means that if you use DW lint on a page, then change the page, it still uses the old source to validate on.
                          Closing and re-opening the file fixes the problem for now, but i'm still figuring out what causes the cache problem.

                          Ill post back with a solution when i got one.
                          Any help is appreciated ofcourse.

                          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "martijnbeulens" <mbeulens@...> wrote:

                          > After working with JSLint for a while i got tired from copy pasting my JS code into jslint.com, so i searched google for a dreamweaver JSLint plugin.
                          > Did not find it though, so created my own.
                          >
                          > It's an initial version, but i tend to update it if i find bugs or when extra features are needed.
                          >
                          > I called it DWLint.
                          > You can download an installer or the source from this page.
                          >
                          > http://dwlint.abisvmm.nl/
                          >
                          > Hope it's useful to someone.
                          >
                          > Martijn Beulens

                        • martijnbeulens
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 21, 2009
                            I've fixed the problem by calling a dreamweaver dom function called "synchronizeDocument" before getting the source.
                            This looks like it fixes my problem.

                            New version (1.0.0.3) on http://dwlint.abisvmm.nl

                            Did not yet build in the selection suggested by Sam.
                            Working on that at the moment.

                            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "martijnbeulens" <mbeulens@...> wrote:

                            > If found that sometimes the source is being copied from the dreamweaver cache. This means that if you use DW lint on a page, then change the page, it still uses the old source to validate on.
                            > Closing and re-opening the file fixes the problem for now, but i'm still figuring out what causes the cache problem.
                            >
                            > Ill post back with a solution when i got one.
                            > Any help is appreciated ofcourse.
                            >

                            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "martijnbeulens" <mbeulens@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > After working with JSLint for a while i got tired from copy pasting my JS code into jslint.com, so i searched google for a dreamweaver JSLint plugin.
                            > > Did not find it though, so created my own.
                            > >
                            > > It's an initial version, but i tend to update it if i find bugs or when extra features are needed.
                            > >
                            > > I called it DWLint.
                            > > You can download an installer or the source from this page.
                            > >
                            > > http://dwlint.abisvmm.nl/
                            > >
                            > > Hope it's useful to someone.
                            > >
                            > > Martijn Beulens

                          • samckayak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 21, 2009
                              > I've fixed the problem by calling a dreamweaver dom function called "synchronizeDocument" before getting the source.
                              > This looks like it fixes my problem.

                              Thanks. I also noted this problem but I was so grateful for the product I didn't want to complain about it!
                            • martijnbeulens
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 22, 2009
                                Reporting a bug or missing feature is not complaining.
                                It's more like helping to make the software better and more useable.