Request: option to disable ['something'] is better written in dot notation.

  • saj14saj
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
      I understand and agree with the warning about dot notation in general.

      My use case for requesting a configuration option to disable it is this:

      I am parsing an object sent by a JSON source I don't control (its the
      JSON output from Domino's ?readviewentries URL command).

      Most of the property names are not legal in dot notation, such as

      x = row['@unid'];

      but a few of them are. For consistency of code, I reference all of the
      properties in the object with bracket notation, which leads to a host
      of warnings regarding the few properties that would be valid in dot
      notation.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "saj14saj" <saj14saj@...> wrote:

        > I understand and agree with the warning about dot notation in general.
        >
        > My use case for requesting a configuration option to disable it is this:
        >
        > Most of the property names are not legal in dot notation, such as
        >
        > x = row['@unid'];
        >
        > but a few of them are. For consistency of code, I reference all of the
        > properties in the object with bracket notation, which leads to a host
        > of warnings regarding the few properties that would be valid in dot
        > notation.

        I have added a 'sub' option to JSLint. It turns off the check for
        suboptimal subscript notation.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
          > I have added a 'sub' option to JSLint. It turns off the check for
          > suboptimal subscript notation.

          /*jslint browser: true, sub: true */
          window['alert']('ok');
        • saj14saj
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2008
            Thank you, that is wonderful.

            I really appreciate the tool, which I use frequently, because I think
            it saves me lots of time debugging, and I also appreciate your
            responsiveness to suggestions.