Re: [jslint] Re: Maximum line lengths

  • Michael Newton
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
      From: Michael Lorton <mlorton@...>
      >People who use systems limited to 80 characters don't need JSLint because they are living in 1987 and Javascript hasn't been invented yet.

      You've clearly never edited outside the comfort of your GUI! This is a problem for me when I SSH into a remote machine and have to use nano to look at code. (No, I'm not cool enough to use vi or emacs.) This seems like a useful option for some, obviously it would be disabled by default just like the strict whitespace option.

    • Stefan Weiss
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2009
        On 03/10/09 01:09, Michael Newton wrote:
        > From: Michael Lorton <mlorton@...>
        >> People who use systems limited to 80 characters don't need JSLint
        >> because they are living in 1987 and Javascript hasn't been invented yet.
        >
        > You've clearly never edited outside the comfort of your GUI! This is a
        > problem for me when I SSH into a remote machine and have to use nano to
        > look at code. (No, I'm not cool enough to use vi or emacs.) This seems
        > like a useful option for some, obviously it would be disabled by default
        > just like the strict whitespace option.

        Just for the record - neither vi, emacs, nano, or Unix terminals put any
        restrictions on line length. If you use PuTTY (or some other terminal
        emulator) to SSH to the server, you can just resize your window or tell
        the terminal emulator how wide you want your lines. The old "hard" 80
        char limit is really an anachronism, GUI or not.

        That said, source lines can become too long to read comfortably, and
        "maxlen" it is a very useful new option in JSLint. I'm definitely going
        to use it.

        cheers,
        stefan

        --
        LOAD"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!",8,1
        RUN!