Re: "The Function constructor is eval." - eval or evil?

  • kevin_hakanson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2008
      wrote:

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "kevin_hakanson"
      > <kevin.hakanson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was looking through the fulljslint.js source and ran across the
      > > snippet below. Should the message say "... is evil"? Is this some
      > > sort of Freudian slip? :)
      > >
      > > case 'Function':
      > > if (!option.evil) {
      > > warning("The Function constructor is eval.");
      > > }
      > > break;
      >
      > It was intentional. The Function constructor is a form of eval.

      Between the time I posted this and you replied, I read "JavaScript:
      The Good Parts" and now that makes sense. I had never thought of
      using new Function(...) before, so I am glad that is a "bad part" I
      never learned.

      Would you consider updating the warning message to be "The Function
      constructor is a form of eval.", which adds "a form of" to the text?
      You do something similar with "document.write can be a form of eval."