Re: [jslint] indentation and anonymous function wrappers

  • Michael Lorton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19 9:44 AM
      The world, as they say, is a very big place. I myself almost never use NAMED functions. That is, I never do this:

      function f() { ... };

      Sometimes, not often, I do this:

      var f = function() { ... };

      which is a little different (not much -- just that the function declared does not know itself to be named "f" in the global scope).

      When I need globally-available functions, I do this:

      var module = module || {};
      module.submodule = module.submodule || {};

      $.update(module.submodule, function() {
      var anyPrivateVariable;
      var anyPrivateFunction = function() { ... };

      return {
      publicFunction0 : function() { ... },

      publicFunction1 : function() { ... }
      }
      });

      The benefits are:
      + only "module" is added to the global namespace (contaminating the global namespace is ConsideredHarmful).
      + several files can contribute other submodules to this module and other functions to this submodule
      + anyPrivateVariable and anyPrivateFunction are only available from inside the submodule (actually, to the part of the submodule in this file)
      + the public functions can be referred to as module.submodule.publicFunction0 and module.submodule.publicFunction1

      (If you don't understand the importance of the private/public distinction and of information hiding in general, you have to back up and read any good programming book written in the last 15 years.)

      But whenever I do event-handling (which, if you think about it, is MOST of what you do with Javascript) I use truly anonymous functions (that is, functions that are never even assigned to local variables, just used used as parameters to function calls).

      $.ajax(url, function(data) { ... process data ... });

      and everywhere I need a closure or code-block

      $.each(someArray, function(index, element) { ... process element ... });

      Hope this help.

      Michael