onbeforeunload not treated like onload or onunload

  • Arthur Blake
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
      With the Assume a browser setting checked,

      onbeforeunload=function() { return "you sure you want to leave the page?";
      };
      gives me a jslint Implied global error whereas onload and onunload do not.
      Was this handler just missed?

      Thanks.

    • legaev_andrey
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
        This is proprietary event handler which can be used in IE only.

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...> wrote:

        > With the Assume a browser setting checked,
        >
        > onbeforeunload=function() { return "you sure you want to leave the page?";
        > };
        > gives me a jslint Implied global error whereas onload and onunload do not.
        > Was this handler just missed?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Arthur Blake
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
          Not true- it works in FF 1.5, 2, 3, 3.5, google chrome and safari and IE
          6,7,8
          This is one of those useful event handlers that the HTML spec never caught
          on with (of which there are many examples), but which you cannot do
          without in some circumstances! For example, an editor web app where you
          want to give the user a chance to save their changes before exiting, in case
          they accidently closed the window.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...> wrote:

            > Not true- it works in FF 1.5, 2, 3, 3.5, google chrome and safari and IE
            > 6,7,8

            I was not aware that Webkit had picked this up. Please let me know if you find any more of these.
          • Arthur Blake
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
              It appears that all the major browsers support it except for Opera... It
              appears that Opera doesn't even support onload and onunload correctly in all
              cases either.