Re: [jslint] JSLint using Spidermonkey

  • Arthur Blake
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2009
      I know this is getting a little off-topic, but I still think it's related
      and relevant to JSLint. With preliminary testing, using spidermonkey
      instead of Java 6 scripting (aka Rhino), I am seeing a speedup factor of
      about 20x. This is really significant, because I can compress a large file
      (using Dean Edwards packer) algorithm that previously took about 40 seconds,
      in about 2 seconds with spidermonkey! This allows the packer compressor to
      actually compress faster than the YUI compressor in some cases! I'll be
      updating the compressorater to use spidermonkey soon.

      On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Re Miya <remiya_ws@...> wrote:

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, dom@...
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:55AM -0700, re miya wrote:
      > > > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
      > > >
      > > > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just
      > fine.
      > > >
      > > > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.
      > >
      > > Internally, that's still calling rhino. And it doesn't mitigate the
      > > startup time of the JVM.
      > >
      > > -Dom
      > >

      > What is worth considering here is not the JVM startup time (which actually
      > is not that much), but that the implementation is OS independent. You write
      > it once and it runs everywhere. And running it out of the box without using
      > Rhino as a separate package, removes the limits imposed by using it.

    • Dominic Mitchell
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2009
        On 1 Aug 2009, at 15:04, Arthur Blake wrote:

        > I know this is getting a little off-topic, but I still think it's
        > related
        > and relevant to JSLint. With preliminary testing, using spidermonkey
        > instead of Java 6 scripting (aka Rhino), I am seeing a speedup
        > factor of
        > about 20x. This is really significant, because I can compress a
        > large file
        > (using Dean Edwards packer) algorithm that previously took about 40
        > seconds,
        > in about 2 seconds with spidermonkey! This allows the packer
        > compressor to
        > actually compress faster than the YUI compressor in some cases!
        > I'll be
        > updating the compressorater to use spidermonkey soon.

        That's very interesting. Just out of curiosity, how much of that is
        down to startup time? If you do some start/end timing in the code,
        how long does it take to execute the compressor.

        The reason I ask is that I noticed it took jsilnt4java a significant
        amount of time to 1) load the JVM and 2) parse fulljslint.js. The
        actual validation took very little time in comparison.

        -Dom

      • Arthur Blake
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
          None of my timing includes startup time- as my application is a server (web
          app) and it's always running, more or less...

        • dom@happygiraffe.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
            On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:14:22AM -0400, Arthur Blake wrote:
            > None of my timing includes startup time- as my application is a server (web
            > app) and it's always running, more or less...

            Thank you -- that's even more impressive.

            -Dom
          • Arthur Blake
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
              Yeah, it's amazing how fast spidermonkey is... the latest versions that have
              tracemonkey rival native C code:Great blog post about it (almost a year old
              now...) here: http://ejohn.org/blog/tracemonkey/

            • mnewton32@yahoo.ca
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                Has anyone been able to get the modified JSLint running with a TraceMonkey-enabled build of SpiderMonkey? SpiderMonkey 1.7 is a few years old at this point. So I tried building it from the mozilla-central repository and the Firefox 3.51 tarball. Both times I got errors in the readline() loop. Otherwise the builds seem fine.

                Yeah, it's amazing how fast spidermonkey is... the latest versions that have
                tracemonkey rival native C code:Great blog post about it (almost a year old
                now...) here: http://ejohn.org/blog/tracemonkey/

                On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM, <dom@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:14:22AM -0400, Arthur Blake wrote:
                > > None of my timing includes startup time- as my application is a server
                > (web
                > > app) and it's always running, more or less...
                >
                > Thank you -- that's even more impressive.
                >
                > -Dom

              • Arthur Blake
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                  I got the spidermonkey tips to build and work fine... although I haven't
                  tried it with JSLint. But I'm sure it would work fine. It seems pretty
                  stable, although it is not a release build by any means...
                  I am in the process of trying to get the TraceMonkey version in FF 3.52 to
                  build as well. If you figure it out before I do, post back here. I'll try
                  to do the same.
                  BTW, I solved the newline problem just by passing in my command object,
                  encapsulated as JSON... that way you can pass everything you want on one big
                  line and not worry about decoding newlines in the stream.