Re: [jslint] Re: CSS 3 selectors.

  • mnewton32@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2009
      They are allowed to contain almost any character, but can only start with letters, numbers, or the underscore I believe. It's there in the (very readable) HTML 4.01 spec. http://w3.org/TR/html4 if I recall correctly.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2009
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, mnewton32@... wrote:

        > They are allowed to contain almost any character, but can only start with letters, numbers, or the underscore I believe. It's there in the (very readable) HTML 4.01 spec. http://w3.org/TR/html4 if I recall correctly.

        Thanks for the link. I took some quick glances at it and didn't notice any mention that CLASS must begin with letters, numbers, or the underscore. I did find this:

        ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"), underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").

        Note that is for ID and NAME, not CLASS. In addition, because CLASS is a cdata-list, it can also contain unescaped HTML entities as well.

        If I'm reading this properly, that means CLASS can contain *any* characters, separated by whitespace.

        Here's the relevant link about CDATA:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-cdata