JSLint using Spidermonkey

  • z_mikowski
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 23, 2009
      This worked great on my Linux dev box, and I thought others might be interested. This guy has employed spidermonkey to run jslint on Linux. Easily :)

      http://whereisandy.com/code/jslint/

      The only pitfall is the jslint he has packaged appears to be a few revisions behind the most current from the web (similar to the Rhino and WHS version, it appears). But for my purposes of automated QA, I found this invaluable. I especially like the implementation as a unix filter.

      Sincerely, Mike

      ps I'm sure the author of the post might appreciate help with an update (maybe I can help at some point).
    • re miya
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 23, 2009
        You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.

        Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just fine.

        The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 23, 2009
          Nice article-- Thanks for pointing it out! I wonder how much faster
          spidermonkey will be when using regular expressions in JS... 100 times???
          Rhino is notoriously slow with regexps... I might look into using
          spidermonkey for my tool, the compressorrater (
          http://compressorrater.thruhere.net). I currently use rhino to run the
          packer compressor, and it's extremely slow!!

          BTW, Java scripting has all the same speed issues as Rhino (since all it
          really is is a repackaged copy of rhino!)

        • dom@happygiraffe.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 23, 2009
            On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:55AM -0700, re miya wrote:
            > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
            >
            > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just fine.
            >
            > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.

            Internally, that's still calling rhino. And it doesn't mitigate the
            startup time of the JVM.

            -Dom
          • blakesys
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 23, 2009
              (I posted this over 3 hours via email and for some reason it didn't come through)

              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, dom@... wrote:

              > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:55AM -0700, re miya wrote:
              > > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
              > >
              > > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just fine.
              > >
              > > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.
              >
              > Internally, that's still calling rhino. And it doesn't mitigate the
              > startup time of the JVM.
              >
              > -Dom

            • z_mikowski
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
                Your welcome! Hope this helps. Note I am /not/ the original author of http://whereisandy.com/code/jsline; just someone that wanted to add jslint to build testing.

                The main point of the article appears to be the speed of the spidermonkey implementation. Conceptually, with less interpreters in the chain, things should go faster.

                jslint -> spidermonkey -> machine code
                jslint -> rhino -> java -> byte code -> machine code

                Of course some aspects of the java implementation can be mitigated by keeping a copy memory resident for batch operations. However, even with that, one of spidermonkey's primary benefits are its speed (witness FF3.5).

                Its also reassuring to me to use a javascript engine actually employed by one of my target browsers.

                This was very easy to implement given the code in the link. It took exactly, um, 0 lines of code. Just had to install spidermonkey and set jslint.js to executable.

                Sincerely, Mike

                --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...> wrote:

                > Nice article-- Thanks for pointing it out! I wonder how much faster
                > spidermonkey will be when using regular expressions in JS... 100 times???
                > Rhino is notoriously slow with regexps... I might look into using
                > spidermonkey for my tool, the compressorrater (
                > http://compressorrater.thruhere.net). I currently use rhino to run the
                > packer compressor, and it's extremely slow!!
                >
                > BTW, Java scripting has all the same speed issues as Rhino (since all it
                > really is is a repackaged copy of rhino!)
                >
                > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM, re miya <remiya_ws@...> wrote:
                >

                > > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
                > >
                > > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just fine.
                > >
                > > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.
                > >
                > > ________________________________

              • Michael Newton
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
                  And just in case Mac users hadn't noticed, Spidermonkey is available as part of MacPorts:

                  sudo port install spidermonkey

                  ________________________________
                  The main point of the article appears to be the speed of the spidermonkey implementation. Conceptually, with less interpreters in the chain, things should go faster.

                  jslint -> spidermonkey -> machine code
                  jslint -> rhino -> java -> byte code -> machine code

                  Of course some aspects of the java implementation can be mitigated by keeping a copy memory resident for batch operations. However, even with that, one of spidermonkey' s primary benefits are its speed (witness FF3.5).

                  Its also reassuring to me to use a javascript engine actually employed by one of my target browsers.

                  This was very easy to implement given the code in the link. It took exactly, um, 0 lines of code. Just had to install spidermonkey and set jslint.js to executable.

                  Sincerely, Mike

                  --- In jslint_com@yahoogro ups.com, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@ ...> wrote:

                  > Nice article-- Thanks for pointing it out! I wonder how much faster
                  > spidermonkey will be when using regular expressions in JS... 100 times???
                  > Rhino is notoriously slow with regexps... I might look into using
                  > spidermonkey for my tool, the compressorrater (
                  > http://compressorra ter.thruhere. net). I currently use rhino to run the
                  > packer compressor, and it's extremely slow!!
                  >
                  > BTW, Java scripting has all the same speed issues as Rhino (since all it
                  > really is is a repackaged copy of rhino!)
                  >
                  > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM, re miya <remiya_ws@. ..> wrote:
                  >

                  > > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
                  > >
                  > > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just fine.
                  > >
                  > > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.
                  > >
                  > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  .

                  __,

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
                    On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 06:58:09PM -0000, z_mikowski wrote:
                    > The main point of the article appears to be the speed of the
                    > spidermonkey implementation. Conceptually, with less interpreters in
                    > the chain, things should go faster.
                    >
                    > jslint -> spidermonkey -> machine code
                    > jslint -> rhino -> java -> byte code -> machine code

                    Don't dismiss the speed of the JVM idly. It's usually a lot faster than
                    you expect, _when running_. The startup time is still poor, but the
                    speed when you have HotSpot up and running is very good.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotSpot

                    > Of course some aspects of the java implementation can be mitigated by
                    > keeping a copy memory resident for batch operations. However, even
                    > with that, one of spidermonkey's primary benefits are its speed
                    > (witness FF3.5).

                    That speed increase comes from tracemonkey. I'm not sure if this as
                    percolated into the spidermonkey builds that are available yet. As with
                    all such things, measure in detail if you care.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracemonkey#TraceMonkey

                    In fact, a quick look at <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js>
                    shows that spidermonkey 1.7.0 was released on 19-Oct-2007, well before
                    tracemonkey was around. There's a 1.8.0-rc1 in that directory, but
                    according to the release notes at
                    <https://developer.mozilla.org/En/SpiderMonkey/1.8>, that still doesn't
                    include the tracemonkey work.

                    -Dom
                  • z_mikowski
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 25, 2009
                      Thanks Dom.

                      As a mod_perl developer, I'm keen on cached byte code, but really haven't kept up with all the details on JVM optimizations :) To be fair, speed really isn't that important to me right now. If it becomes an issue with automated builds, then I will re-approach and share my experience here.

                      http://code.google.com/p/jslint4java/ sounds really good. Since it is more current than the version I'm currently running, I may give it a spin. Thank you for sharing!

                      Sincerely, Mike

                      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, dom@... wrote:

                      > On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 06:58:09PM -0000, z_mikowski wrote:
                      > > The main point of the article appears to be the speed of the
                      > > spidermonkey implementation. Conceptually, with less interpreters in
                      > > the chain, things should go faster.
                      > >
                      > > jslint -> spidermonkey -> machine code
                      > > jslint -> rhino -> java -> byte code -> machine code
                      >
                      > Don't dismiss the speed of the JVM idly. It's usually a lot faster than
                      > you expect, _when running_. The startup time is still poor, but the
                      > speed when you have HotSpot up and running is very good.
                      >
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotSpot
                      >
                      > > Of course some aspects of the java implementation can be mitigated by
                      > > keeping a copy memory resident for batch operations. However, even
                      > > with that, one of spidermonkey's primary benefits are its speed
                      > > (witness FF3.5).
                      >
                      > That speed increase comes from tracemonkey. I'm not sure if this as
                      > percolated into the spidermonkey builds that are available yet. As with
                      > all such things, measure in detail if you care.
                      >
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracemonkey#TraceMonkey
                      >
                      > In fact, a quick look at <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js>
                      > shows that spidermonkey 1.7.0 was released on 19-Oct-2007, well before
                      > tracemonkey was around. There's a 1.8.0-rc1 in that directory, but
                      > according to the release notes at
                      > <https://developer.mozilla.org/En/SpiderMonkey/1.8>, that still doesn't
                      > include the tracemonkey work.
                      >
                      > -Dom

                    • Re Miya
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 29, 2009
                        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, dom@... wrote:

                        > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:55AM -0700, re miya wrote:
                        > > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
                        > >
                        > > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just fine.
                        > >
                        > > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.
                        >
                        > Internally, that's still calling rhino. And it doesn't mitigate the
                        > startup time of the JVM.
                        >
                        > -Dom

                        What is worth considering here is not the JVM startup time (which actually is not that much), but that the implementation is OS independent. You write it once and it runs everywhere. And running it out of the box without using Rhino as a separate package, removes the limits imposed by using it.
                      • Arthur Blake
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 1, 2009
                          I know this is getting a little off-topic, but I still think it's related
                          and relevant to JSLint. With preliminary testing, using spidermonkey
                          instead of Java 6 scripting (aka Rhino), I am seeing a speedup factor of
                          about 20x. This is really significant, because I can compress a large file
                          (using Dean Edwards packer) algorithm that previously took about 40 seconds,
                          in about 2 seconds with spidermonkey! This allows the packer compressor to
                          actually compress faster than the YUI compressor in some cases! I'll be
                          updating the compressorater to use spidermonkey soon.

                          On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Re Miya <remiya_ws@...> wrote:

                          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, dom@...
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:55AM -0700, re miya wrote:
                          > > > You don't need to use neither Rhino neither Spidermonkey.
                          > > >
                          > > > Java has scripting enabled since version 6.0, and it runs jslint just
                          > fine.
                          > > >
                          > > > The implementation takes no more than 8 lines of code.
                          > >
                          > > Internally, that's still calling rhino. And it doesn't mitigate the
                          > > startup time of the JVM.
                          > >
                          > > -Dom
                          > >

                          > What is worth considering here is not the JVM startup time (which actually
                          > is not that much), but that the implementation is OS independent. You write
                          > it once and it runs everywhere. And running it out of the box without using
                          > Rhino as a separate package, removes the limits imposed by using it.

                        • Dominic Mitchell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 1, 2009
                            On 1 Aug 2009, at 15:04, Arthur Blake wrote:

                            > I know this is getting a little off-topic, but I still think it's
                            > related
                            > and relevant to JSLint. With preliminary testing, using spidermonkey
                            > instead of Java 6 scripting (aka Rhino), I am seeing a speedup
                            > factor of
                            > about 20x. This is really significant, because I can compress a
                            > large file
                            > (using Dean Edwards packer) algorithm that previously took about 40
                            > seconds,
                            > in about 2 seconds with spidermonkey! This allows the packer
                            > compressor to
                            > actually compress faster than the YUI compressor in some cases!
                            > I'll be
                            > updating the compressorater to use spidermonkey soon.

                            That's very interesting. Just out of curiosity, how much of that is
                            down to startup time? If you do some start/end timing in the code,
                            how long does it take to execute the compressor.

                            The reason I ask is that I noticed it took jsilnt4java a significant
                            amount of time to 1) load the JVM and 2) parse fulljslint.js. The
                            actual validation took very little time in comparison.

                            -Dom

                          • Arthur Blake
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                              None of my timing includes startup time- as my application is a server (web
                              app) and it's always running, more or less...

                            • dom@happygiraffe.net
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                                On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:14:22AM -0400, Arthur Blake wrote:
                                > None of my timing includes startup time- as my application is a server (web
                                > app) and it's always running, more or less...

                                Thank you -- that's even more impressive.

                                -Dom
                              • Arthur Blake
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                                  Yeah, it's amazing how fast spidermonkey is... the latest versions that have
                                  tracemonkey rival native C code:Great blog post about it (almost a year old
                                  now...) here: http://ejohn.org/blog/tracemonkey/

                                • mnewton32@yahoo.ca
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                                    Has anyone been able to get the modified JSLint running with a TraceMonkey-enabled build of SpiderMonkey? SpiderMonkey 1.7 is a few years old at this point. So I tried building it from the mozilla-central repository and the Firefox 3.51 tarball. Both times I got errors in the readline() loop. Otherwise the builds seem fine.

                                    Yeah, it's amazing how fast spidermonkey is... the latest versions that have
                                    tracemonkey rival native C code:Great blog post about it (almost a year old
                                    now...) here: http://ejohn.org/blog/tracemonkey/

                                    On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM, <dom@...> wrote:

                                    > On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:14:22AM -0400, Arthur Blake wrote:
                                    > > None of my timing includes startup time- as my application is a server
                                    > (web
                                    > > app) and it's always running, more or less...
                                    >
                                    > Thank you -- that's even more impressive.
                                    >
                                    > -Dom

                                  • Arthur Blake
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 2, 2009
                                      I got the spidermonkey tips to build and work fine... although I haven't
                                      tried it with JSLint. But I'm sure it would work fine. It seems pretty
                                      stable, although it is not a release build by any means...
                                      I am in the process of trying to get the TraceMonkey version in FF 3.52 to
                                      build as well. If you figure it out before I do, post back here. I'll try
                                      to do the same.
                                      BTW, I solved the newline problem just by passing in my command object,
                                      encapsulated as JSON... that way you can pass everything you want on one big
                                      line and not worry about decoding newlines in the stream.