Re: [jslint] Re: continue

  • Michael Lorton
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 20, 2009
      >> I am sure that if this topic is debated long enough, almost every
      >> statement or method will have someone calling it evil or declaring
      >> its use as counter intuitive. But at what point do we stop? If we
      >> warn about breaks, returns, continues and switches, what's to stop us
      >> from eliminating for loops and if statements since they can also be
      >> misused and abused? Eventually we will be left with only empty
      >> function statements, and I am sure someone would have a perfectly
      >> valid complaint about that.
      >>
      >> I supposed it would be much easier to write JavaScript if that were
      >> the case:
      >>
      >> var doNothing = function () {
      >> //Success!;
      >> }
      >>
      >> Randall
      >>
      >Good one, Randall! Dittos!

      How is that a good one? Yes, nothing on this earth is perfectly good and few things are perfectly evil, but we still have the daily task of figuring out what to do, and reductionist sarcasm like "well, anything can be misused" doesn't help at all.

      > Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@gm...> writes:

      > Sorry, but it doesn't pass JsLint:
      > Problem at line 3 character 2: Missing semicolon.

      Now *that* is a good one.

      M.

    • Randall Lee Spence
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 20, 2009

        > >> I am sure that if this topic is debated long enough, almost every
        > >> statement or method will have someone calling it evil or declaring
        > >> its use as counter intuitive. But at what point do we stop? If we
        > >> warn about breaks, returns, continues and switches, what's to stop us
        > >> from eliminating for loops and if statements since they can also be
        > >> misused and abused? Eventually we will be left with only empty
        > >> function statements, and I am sure someone would have a perfectly
        > >> valid complaint about that.
        > >>
        > >> I supposed it would be much easier to write JavaScript if that were
        > >> the case:
        > >>
        > >> var doNothing = function () {
        > >> //Success!;
        > >> }
        > >>
        > >> Randall
        > >>
        > >Good one, Randall! Dittos!
        >
        > How is that a good one? Yes, nothing on this earth is perfectly good and few things are perfectly evil, but we still have the daily task of figuring out what to do, and reductionist sarcasm like "well, anything can be misused" doesn't help at all.
        >
        > > Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@gm...> writes:
        >
        > > Sorry, but it doesn't pass JsLint:
        > > Problem at line 3 character 2: Missing semicolon.
        >
        > Now *that* is a good one.
        >
        > M.

        I agree Michael, that was a good one!

        Reductionist sarcasm aside, I'd like to state again that I do agree
        with JSLint throwing a warning on continue, I just don't agree with
        throwing a warning on break or return. Since the original post was
        about continue, and it seems as if enough people have agreed it would
        make a good addition, I suspect we will this as an option in the next
        version of JSLint.

        As I was re-reading the thread I noticed you asked if JSlint warned
        about missing breaks in switch statements, but I didn't see where
        anyone addressed that directly. You may have already found the answer
        on your own, but in case you didn't, and for the benefit of others,
        it does. JSLint expects that the statement before the next case or
        default is either a break, return or throw.

        Randall