Re: Processing of Tabs

  • Merlin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2008

      > I think it would be simpler, and probably better, if jslint could
      > "enforce" (check that is) and either-or policy: either indentation is
      > performed using spaces alone, or it is performed using tabs alone.
      >
      > In case of spaces we now already have an option to adjust the amount
      > of spaces used per level. In the case of tabs, exactly one tab
      > character per indent level should be the only acceptable content.
      >
      > Mixing tab and space characters for indentation is a bad, bad practice
      > that will always lead to incorrectly indented code as people edit with
      > different tab stop settings. If tabs and spaces are not mixed, there
      > is really no reason for jslint to "detab" a file.
      >
      > /Jakob

      Tabs are not just bad , they are awful. They have been a source of trouble from the early
      days of computers. Unless you know where the tab-stops were placed while the text was
      being created, you can't reconstruct the layout of a line of text. Word processors
      remember where the tab-stops were placed, plain text editors (in general) do not.

      However, most text editors allow the use of tabs, and it is not apparent whether a
      particular visible indentation was caused by tabs or spaces or some combination of the
      two.

      If my text looks correct in my favorite text editor, I want it to be accepted as such by
      other programs.

      One solution would be for JSLint to regard tabs as illegal and to insist on spaces only.
      In that case, I could detab my text before presenting it to JSLint. My favorite editor will do
      that for me - it knows where the tab-stops were placed.

      I greatly dislike the idea of having single tabs denote indentation. To use that reliably, I
      would have to have the editor make tabs visible. I really do not want that.

      The "standard" detab solution has been around for about 40 years. I much prefer it,
      although it does mean that you need to know the tab-stops or tab interval.

      In text to be presented to JSLint it would be simple enough to have a

      /*jslint tabstops: 4 */

      declaration comment.

      Less satisfactory would be to assume that the tab interval was the same as the indentation
      interval.