Re: [jslint] Re: /*global */

  • Harry Whitfield
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 1, 2009
      On 1 Jun 2009, at 21:10:20, Douglas Crockford wrote:
      > So I am keeping /*global */. The variables that it defines will be
      > const. You can read them and call them,but you can't assign to them.
      > That should prevent the confusion that caused my problem.

      /*global foo */

      foo.opacity = 255;

      var f = function () {
      var foo;
      foo = 7;
      };

      Error:
      Problem at line 7 character 5: Global violation.
      foo = 7;
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 12, 2009
        > "name" needs to be writable. It has no value by default,
        > but you can assign a string to it, indicating the name of
        > the window/tab.

        Which do you think is more likely, that a program wants to change the global name, or that a var name declaration in a function was forgotten? We won't get an implied global warning, but at least we can get a read only warning. I think that is the more useful default.