Re: /*global */

  • pauanyu
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 1, 2009

      > I will be removing the /*global */ declarative comment. I am persuaded that it is best to explicitly use var to declare all global variables, even when accessing variables created by other compilation units.
      >
      > /*global */ will just be a comment.

      In answer to people's concerns: I believe the primary reason for this change is that "use strict" mode does not allow implied globals:

      Now, rather than writing:
      /*global varName */

      You simply write:
      var varName;

      Disclaimer: I am not Douglas Crockford, so this is merely my own personal speculation on the subject.
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 12, 2009
        > "name" needs to be writable. It has no value by default,
        > but you can assign a string to it, indicating the name of
        > the window/tab.

        Which do you think is more likely, that a program wants to change the global name, or that a var name declaration in a function was forgotten? We won't get an implied global warning, but at least we can get a read only warning. I think that is the more useful default.