The Fifth Edition

    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2009
      There is a Fifth Edition of the ECMAScript standard in the works.

      http://www.ecma-international.org/news/PressReleases/PR_Ecma_finalises_major_revision_of_ECMAScript.htm

      It is the first revision of the standard that defines JavaScript in ten years. It contains some syntactic improvements, such as tolerance of reserved words in the dot notation and in object literals, and tolerance of trailing commas in object literals.

      These and other improvements will not be reflected in JSLint for the time being. Most of the goodness of the Fifth Edition can be obtained with the old syntax. It will be years before the Fifth Edition fully replaces the Third Edition, so for most purposes it will be wise to stick with the restricted Third Edition syntax.

      The only exception is the "use strict"; pragma which is recognized by JSLint now, and which can be demanded by an option. Over time I may add more options requiring or allowing Fifth Edition features, but not now, and not soon.
    • pauanyu
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2009

        > The only exception is the "use strict"; pragma which is recognized by JSLint now, and which can be demanded by an option. Over time I may add more options requiring or allowing Fifth Edition features, but not now, and not soon.

        Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I can't seem to find anywhere that explains exactly what "use strict"; does. Oh, sure, there's the actual specification, but it's noticeably... dense.