RE: [jslint] option.cap

  • Jakob Kruse
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      This is something I still see often. However, since jslint is not capable of validating otherwise perfectly valid (and required) html (I am thinking specifically about refusing the type attribute on script tags) I’ve never been able to use it on html. For me, this option, and indeed the entire html part of jslint, brings no value.

      /Jakob

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
        Unfortunately many HTMl code are still generated in uppercase.
        Until every one is using XHTML or at least validated HTML, I suggest to keep the option.

        > This is something I still see often. However, since jslint is not capable of validating otherwise perfectly valid (and required) html (I am thinking specifically about refusing the type attribute on script tags) I've never been able to use it on html. For me, this option, and indeed the entire html part of jslint, brings no value.
        >
        > /Jakob

      • Noah Peters
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
          Since some browsers (IE family) generate capital letter HTML tags when using contentEditable, I think that it could be unnecessarily restrictive to remove the option entirely.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2010
            In the first decade of HTML, tagNames were written in upper case. In the second decade, the preferred style seems to be lower case. JSLint has a "Tolerate HTML case" option to help developers through the transition. Use of this option is recommended only for sites that want their HTML coding to appear to be antiquated and steam powered.

            JSLint now uses this option when examining tagNames in CSS styles.
          • Mark Volkmann
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2010
              On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Douglas Crockford
              <douglas@...>wrote:

              > In the first decade of HTML, tagNames were written in upper case. In the
              > second decade, the preferred style seems to be lower case. JSLint has a
              > "Tolerate HTML case" option to help developers through the transition. Use
              > of this option is recommended only for sites that want their HTML coding to
              > appear to be antiquated and steam powered.
              >
              > JSLint now uses this option when examining tagNames in CSS styles.

              In my view, lowercase is not simply the preferred style, it is required
              since XHTML validation requires it. I suppose some people don't like XHTML
              though.

              --
              R. Mark Volkmann
              Object Computing, Inc.

            • Tim Beadle
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 13, 2010
                On 11 October 2010 17:41, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
                > In the first decade of HTML, tagNames were written in upper case. In the second decade, the preferred style seems to be lower case. JSLint has a "Tolerate HTML case" option to help developers through the transition. Use of this option is recommended only for sites that want their HTML coding to appear to be antiquated and steam powered.
                >
                > JSLint now uses this option when examining tagNames in CSS styles.

                Douglas,

                Thanks for adding the option, even if the ensuing discussion has made
                me question whether we should be coding in this style.

                Thanks,

                Tim
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
                  The Tolerate HTML Case option was one of the first options added to JSLint. HTML tags were originally written in upper case, but tastes changed and now they are written in lower case.

                  The option was added to help manage the transition. But that was over a decade ago. I think it is time to remove the option.

                  Is anyone still relying on it?
                • Felix E. Klee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
                    On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:23 AM, douglascrockford
                    <douglas@...> wrote:
                    > HTML tags were originally written in upper case, but tastes changed
                    > and now they are written in lower case.

                    Furthermore, in XHTML tags have to be in lower case:

                    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.2>