Re: minor rule relaxation request

  • zoney70
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2009

      > True that! Most C-like languages allow the brace-less consequent, but
      it's evil! Evil, I say!

      > Seriously, it's difficult to read and error-prone.
      >
      > M.

      > True that! Most C-like languages allow the brace-less consequent, but
      it's evil! Evil, I say!

      > Seriously, it's difficult to read and error-prone.
      >
      > M.

      Seriously, having lived on the planet for seven decades and programmed
      for nearly five of them, I have yet to find this usage in my own code
      either "error-prone" or "difficult to read" (actually the opposite). I
      consider it merely unwieldy notational nonsense that adds no utility.

      It is true that a careless incompetent can destroy any program by
      inserting statements willy-nilly, but who would let a careless
      incompetent anywhere near well-designed code?

      What I can't understand is options to allow eval (truly evil), and
      sloppy line breaks yet insist on those unnecessary braces! This smells
      to me more like a desire to make implementation of jslint easy than any
      particular zeal for my welfare. But, I have observed that phenomenon
      for decades.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "zoney70" <zoney70@...> wrote:
        > What I can't understand is options to allow eval (truly evil), and
        > sloppy line breaks yet insist on those unnecessary braces! This smells
        > to me more like a desire to make implementation of jslint easy than any
        > particular zeal for my welfare. But, I have observed that phenomenon
        > for decades.

        The eval exclusion was for the benefit of JSONT and json2. They represent uses of eval that are beneficial.

        I have no excuse for the line breaking option. Who would cry if I removed it?