Re: Feature request

  • Jakob Kruse
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
      Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:

      http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/

      It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
      Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
      selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.

      Regards,
      Jakob Kruse

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "gregraven@..." <gregraven@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
        > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
        >
        > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
        > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
        > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.

        Now that there is the Multi Widget, I am not going to maintain the
        original widget.
      • Merlin
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009

          > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
          >
          > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
          > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
          > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.

          Very nice Widget.

          It is, however, possible to have a better arrangement of the JSLint option panes.

          See my Widget Tester Widget at http://tinyurl.com/5unocx .

          I've also added context menu items on the JSLint button to clear options and to set
          recommended options and good-part options.

          There are a couple of problems with the JSLint Multi Widget on the Macintosh.

          The WARNING at the bottom runs off the bottom of the window so that the last (two?) lines
          are cut off.

          When I click the "Reread folder" button, many of the green entries turn red.
        • Jakob Kruse
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin" <g7awz@...> wrote:

            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Jakob Kruse" <kruse@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
            > >
            > > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
            > >
            > > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the
            Good
            > > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
            > > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.
            >
            > Very nice Widget.
            >
            > It is, however, possible to have a better arrangement of the JSLint
            option panes.

            > See my Widget Tester Widget at http://tinyurl.com/5unocx .
            >
            > I've also added context menu items on the JSLint button to clear
            options and to set
            > recommended options and good-part options.
            >

            > There are a couple of problems with the JSLint Multi Widget on the
            Macintosh.

            > The WARNING at the bottom runs off the bottom of the window so that
            the last (two?) lines
            > are cut off.
            >
            > When I click the "Reread folder" button, many of the green entries
            turn red.

            Unfortunately, none of the developers on the JSLint Multi widget have
            access to a Macintosh computer for testing. If anyone is interested in
            helping us track down any problems, please contact us. For now we
            claim no support for Mac.

            /Jakob
          • gregraven@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009

              > Now that there is the Multi Widget, I am not going to maintain the
              > original widget.

              Pity. I MUCH prefer the way your original version works.
            • edgauci
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009

                > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Jakob Kruse" <kruse@> wrote:
                > > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
                > >
                > > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
                > >
                > > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
                > > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
                > > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.
                >
                > Now that there is the Multi Widget, I am not going to maintain the
                > original widget.

                I don't think that Multi Widget has any way of generating a report, and the first error is usually insufficient.

                I do like Multi Widget, but it needs a way of creating a full report for a specific file. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious.
              • Jakob Kruse
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
                  Hi

                  The JSLint Multi widget will have report generation facilities in the next version. For performance reasons it always stops at the first error when loading the list (it only needs to know if each file validates or not). Since it also only displays the first error in the widget, a full parse was omitted initially. I recommend using the widget in a more "real time" manner (have it running while you edit and fix each error as the file turns red), in which case you don't really need a report, but I acknowledge that some people would still like a report, and will add it.

                  Please let me know if there's anything else you would like to see in there!

                  /Jakob

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
                    Thanks Jakob. That's excellent news.

                    I agree that it would be a bad idea to run a full scan for the entire list. It would work great for me if I could get it selectively file by file.

                    In some cases, I don't always clean each file completely, at least not at first. For example, I don't want to disable being warned about 'debugger' lines, but I often want them in there for a while. Also, I don't think there's a way to disable 'javascript url' errors, and in my humble opinion, those aren't necessarily all evil. :)

                    Thanks again.

                    Ed