Feature request

  • gregraven@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
      I think it would be great if the JSLint Yahoo! Widget had the clear, recommended, and good
      parts selectors found on jslint.com. It would save a bit of time and frustration going
      through each of the preference panes to make the equivalent configuration. I'm loving
      JSLint, though. Thanks, Douglas, for making it available.
    • Jakob Kruse
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
        Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:

        http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/

        It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
        Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
        selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.

        Regards,
        Jakob Kruse

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "gregraven@..." <gregraven@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
          > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
          >
          > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
          > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
          > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.

          Now that there is the Multi Widget, I am not going to maintain the
          original widget.
        • Merlin
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009

            > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
            >
            > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
            >
            > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
            > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
            > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.

            Very nice Widget.

            It is, however, possible to have a better arrangement of the JSLint option panes.

            See my Widget Tester Widget at http://tinyurl.com/5unocx .

            I've also added context menu items on the JSLint button to clear options and to set
            recommended options and good-part options.

            There are a couple of problems with the JSLint Multi Widget on the Macintosh.

            The WARNING at the bottom runs off the bottom of the window so that the last (two?) lines
            are cut off.

            When I click the "Reread folder" button, many of the green entries turn red.
          • Jakob Kruse
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin" <g7awz@...> wrote:

              > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Jakob Kruse" <kruse@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
              > >
              > > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
              > >
              > > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the
              Good
              > > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
              > > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.
              >
              > Very nice Widget.
              >
              > It is, however, possible to have a better arrangement of the JSLint
              option panes.

              > See my Widget Tester Widget at http://tinyurl.com/5unocx .
              >
              > I've also added context menu items on the JSLint button to clear
              options and to set
              > recommended options and good-part options.
              >

              > There are a couple of problems with the JSLint Multi Widget on the
              Macintosh.

              > The WARNING at the bottom runs off the bottom of the window so that
              the last (two?) lines
              > are cut off.
              >
              > When I click the "Reread folder" button, many of the green entries
              turn red.

              Unfortunately, none of the developers on the JSLint Multi widget have
              access to a Macintosh computer for testing. If anyone is interested in
              helping us track down any problems, please contact us. For now we
              claim no support for Mac.

              /Jakob
            • gregraven@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009

                > Now that there is the Multi Widget, I am not going to maintain the
                > original widget.

                Pity. I MUCH prefer the way your original version works.
              • edgauci
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009

                  > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Jakob Kruse" <kruse@> wrote:
                  > > Please have a look at the "JSLint Multi" widget available here:
                  > >
                  > > http://code.google.com/p/jslint-multi-widget/
                  > >
                  > > It doesn't have quite what you ask, but it does separate all the Good
                  > > Parts options on one preference page, and defaults to Good Parts
                  > > selected. It also monitors entire directory structures.
                  >
                  > Now that there is the Multi Widget, I am not going to maintain the
                  > original widget.

                  I don't think that Multi Widget has any way of generating a report, and the first error is usually insufficient.

                  I do like Multi Widget, but it needs a way of creating a full report for a specific file. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious.
                • Jakob Kruse
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
                    Hi

                    The JSLint Multi widget will have report generation facilities in the next version. For performance reasons it always stops at the first error when loading the list (it only needs to know if each file validates or not). Since it also only displays the first error in the widget, a full parse was omitted initially. I recommend using the widget in a more "real time" manner (have it running while you edit and fix each error as the file turns red), in which case you don't really need a report, but I acknowledge that some people would still like a report, and will add it.

                    Please let me know if there's anything else you would like to see in there!

                    /Jakob

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
                      Thanks Jakob. That's excellent news.

                      I agree that it would be a bad idea to run a full scan for the entire list. It would work great for me if I could get it selectively file by file.

                      In some cases, I don't always clean each file completely, at least not at first. For example, I don't want to disable being warned about 'debugger' lines, but I often want them in there for a while. Also, I don't think there's a way to disable 'javascript url' errors, and in my humble opinion, those aren't necessarily all evil. :)

                      Thanks again.

                      Ed