Re: [jslint] Re: var a = var b = foo();

  • mnewton32@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
      I believe the var declaration is not legal as the right side of a statement; it would require 'var b' to return a value, which it does not. Try:
      var a, b;
      a = b = foo();

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
        2008/12/16 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Cassidy" <mail@...> wrote:
        >> JSLint forbids the following form:
        >>
        >> var a = var b = foo(); // Expected an identifier and instead saw 'var'.
        >>
        >> Is this intentional?
        >
        > Of course.

        Uhh... sorry. It is of course a syntax error.

        Chalk that one up to temporary insanity on my part. I was thinking of
        another language where "var b" is an expression, and so returns a
        value (as well as declaring a variable).

        Dan.