Re: newcap

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <Nielsen.Chris@...> wrote:

      > The documentation suggests that this should work:
      >
      > /*jslint newcap: true */
      > or
      > /*jslint newcap: false */
      >
      > However, JSLint itself complains about this being a "Bad Option."

      Thanks for the report.
    • Julien Royer
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
        Hi,

        Why does JSLint use the following regexp to detect names beginning
        with a capital letter (newcap option)?
        /^[A-Z]([A-Z0-9_$]*[a-z][A-Za-z0-9_$]*)?$/

        It makes the following names valid for non-constructor functions:
        "T1", "HTML", "H$1", ...
      • Woomla
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
          > In my practice, I completely avoid use of new.

          I'm just curious what you mean by this. How do you create objects then?
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Woomla" <woomla@...> wrote:

            > > In my practice, I completely avoid use of new.
            >
            > I'm just curious what you mean by this. How do you create objects then?

            I use object literals and Object.create(prototype). Object.create is in ES5. It can be added to ES3 with

            if (!Object.create) {
            Object.create = function (prototype) {
            function F() {}
            F.prototype = prototype;