Re: newcap

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
      The documentation suggests that this should work:

      /*jslint newcap: true */
      or
      /*jslint newcap: false */

      However, JSLint itself complains about this being a "Bad Option."

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <Nielsen.Chris@...> wrote:

        > The documentation suggests that this should work:
        >
        > /*jslint newcap: true */
        > or
        > /*jslint newcap: false */
        >
        > However, JSLint itself complains about this being a "Bad Option."

        Thanks for the report.
      • Julien Royer
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
          Hi,

          Why does JSLint use the following regexp to detect names beginning
          with a capital letter (newcap option)?
          /^[A-Z]([A-Z0-9_$]*[a-z][A-Za-z0-9_$]*)?$/

          It makes the following names valid for non-constructor functions:
          "T1", "HTML", "H$1", ...
        • Woomla
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
            > In my practice, I completely avoid use of new.

            I'm just curious what you mean by this. How do you create objects then?
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Woomla" <woomla@...> wrote:

              > > In my practice, I completely avoid use of new.
              >
              > I'm just curious what you mean by this. How do you create objects then?

              I use object literals and Object.create(prototype). Object.create is in ES5. It can be added to ES3 with

              if (!Object.create) {
              Object.create = function (prototype) {
              function F() {}
              F.prototype = prototype;