Re: [jslint] get & set

  • Felix E. Klee
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
      On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM, douglascrockford
      <douglas@...> wrote:
      > I have been asked to have JSLint always warn on use of get and set.
      > How would you feel about that?

      The idea is that JSLint would warn when it sees something as the
      following?

      o.getX = function () { return x; }

      While I much prefer using a getter instead, I don't think the above code
      should trigger a warning. There may be function names that are prefixed
      by `get` and that do not describe what would better be a getter.
    • rodobrist
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013

        > I have been asked to have JSLint always warn on use of get and set.
        > How would you feel about that?

        I use get and set sometimes, I am aware that they are:

        1. Not overly performant (js perf type diagnostics).
        2. Not compatible in IE < 9 browsers.

        But in some circumstances they seem more suitable then the alternative of calling getProperty() and setProperty() (es3 attempt of getter/setter).

        These circumstances are:
        1. Chrome extension development
        2. Node js
        3. Working for lovely bosses who tell you they don't care about IE8

        I think es5 getter/setter are cleaner when used correctly.

        Property access was built into the syntax of javascript, I prefer to keep it that way:

        object.property
        vs
        object.callFuncToGetProperty()

        Are there any other reasons not to use them besides what I mentioned?