Re: [jslint] Re: JSLint and HTML

  • Felix E. Klee
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
      On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM, hemanrobinson <hemanrobinson@...>
      wrote:
      > For our project, embedding JavaScript in HTML is not bad practice. In
      > fact, there is no alternative. We are required to produce a single
      > output file.

      Good practice is to use separate files during development, and then
      (automatically) merge them together for deployment.
    • falk.werner@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
        > Good practice is to use separate files during development, and then
        > (automatically) merge them together for deployment.

        Is it good practice to only check parts of a product and not the assembled product ("a single output file") itself?
      • Andrew Todd
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
          On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM, hemanrobinson <hemanrobinson@...>wrote:

          > **
          > For our project, embedding JavaScript in HTML is not bad practice. In
          > fact, there is no alternative. We are required to produce a single output
          > file.

          You will be better off moving to a build and templating system that pulls
          in your JavaScript source files and your HTML templates, checks them
          separately, does any minifying you want, and then combines them together.
          In this way, you are using tools designed for their tasks.

          I use Maven, the JSLint Maven plugin, and the Freemarker preprocessor Maven
          plugin for this purpose.

        • hemanrobinson
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 25, 2013
            Thanks for all the advice. We have found a workaround.

            I am sorry to lose the HTML parsing; it was a useful feature.