unexpected 'escape' is undefined

  • michael.gollmick
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2008
      Hi,

      while checking a script and reducing a lot of flaws in it with the
      webjslint, the following message came up:

      Problem at line 130 character 34: 'escape' is undefined.

      var curCookie = name + "=" + escape(value) +

      while I had checked the option "assume a browser" and from what I know
      escape and unescape are native functions in at least a browser, that
      message came anyway.

      Does anyone have a hint to avoid that message (which comes up for
      unescape as well)?

      thanks in advance :-)

      --
      Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2008
        Don't use escape. Use encodeURI or encodeURIComponent instead.

        michael.gollmick wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > while checking a script and reducing a lot of flaws in it with the
        > webjslint, the following message came up:
        >
        > Problem at line 130 character 34: 'escape' is undefined.
        >
        > var curCookie = name + "=" + escape(value) +
        >
        > while I had checked the option "assume a browser" and from what I know
        > escape and unescape are native functions in at least a browser, that
        > message came anyway.
        >
        > Does anyone have a hint to avoid that message (which comes up for
        > unescape as well)?
        >
        > thanks in advance :-)
        >
        > --
        > Michael

      • crlender
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2008
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:

          > Don't use escape. Use encodeURI or encodeURIComponent instead.

          But what if the server can't handle UTF-8 encoded characters? Many
          legacy applications are stuck with escape/unescape.

          - Conrad
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2008
            crlender wrote:
            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
            >> Don't use escape. Use encodeURI or encodeURIComponent instead.
            >
            > But what if the server can't handle UTF-8 encoded characters? Many
            > legacy applications are stuck with escape/unescape.

            /*global escape */
          • michael.gollmick
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2008
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:

              > crlender wrote:
              > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Crockford <douglas@> wrote:
              > >> Don't use escape. Use encodeURI or encodeURIComponent instead.
              > >
              > > But what if the server can't handle UTF-8 encoded characters? Many
              > > legacy applications are stuck with escape/unescape.
              >
              > /*global escape */

              absolutely - that was my solution too ;-) I just thought every browser
              implements that extension to the ECMA Script and thus expected it to
              disappear with checking the "assume a browser" option. But I was
              probably wrong.

              --
              Michael