Re: newcap

  • Merlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2008

      > I have added a new option:
      >
      > [ ] Require Initial Caps for constructors (option.newcap)

      Because the Yahoo! JSLint Widget is now very out of date, I offer my Widget Tester Widget
      (which includes JSLint) at http://tinyurl.com/5unocx . I normally try to follow Douglas's
      updates whenever they occur.
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
        The documentation suggests that this should work:

        /*jslint newcap: true */
        or
        /*jslint newcap: false */

        However, JSLint itself complains about this being a "Bad Option."

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <Nielsen.Chris@...> wrote:

          > The documentation suggests that this should work:
          >
          > /*jslint newcap: true */
          > or
          > /*jslint newcap: false */
          >
          > However, JSLint itself complains about this being a "Bad Option."

          Thanks for the report.
        • Julien Royer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4 5:35 AM
            Hi,

            Why does JSLint use the following regexp to detect names beginning
            with a capital letter (newcap option)?
            /^[A-Z]([A-Z0-9_$]*[a-z][A-Za-z0-9_$]*)?$/

            It makes the following names valid for non-constructor functions:
            "T1", "HTML", "H$1", ...
          • Woomla
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9 1:29 AM
              > In my practice, I completely avoid use of new.

              I'm just curious what you mean by this. How do you create objects then?
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9 6:25 AM
                --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Woomla" <woomla@...> wrote:

                > > In my practice, I completely avoid use of new.
                >
                > I'm just curious what you mean by this. How do you create objects then?

                I use object literals and Object.create(prototype). Object.create is in ES5. It can be added to ES3 with

                if (!Object.create) {
                Object.create = function (prototype) {
                function F() {}
                F.prototype = prototype;