Re: [jslint] Tabs vs Spaces question

  • Ben White
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
      It supports tabs, or did historically...
      On Mar 1, 2013 1:30 PM, "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Kirk Cerny kirksemail@...> wrote:
      > > What is the reason for this?
      >
      > JSLint never supported tabs, as far as I am aware of. You can specify
      > indentation (e.g. `/*jslint indent: 4 */`), but that is for spaces.
      > Possibly it would be a good idea to add another configuration option to
      > specify tabs instead of spaces, or simply: `/*jslint indent: t */`

    • Ben White
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
        Previously it would only warn you if you used both spaces and tabs.
        On Mar 1, 2013 1:56 PM, "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Doc Emmett Splendid
        > emmett.thesane@...> wrote:
        > > I also have a strong preference for tabs, as they carry the semantic
        > notion [...]
        >
        > Not to start an argument here, but don't you think that this semantic
        > information is redundant?
        >
        > In a language like JavaScript or C, I see the purpose of indentation
        > primarily to make code easier to read. In languages such as Python
        > it's different, but then there is no discussion.

      • Kirk Cerny
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
          I (the person that asked the question in the first place) like to use
          spaces.
          But the code base I am currently on uses tabs.

          On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Ben White <ben.a.white@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Previously it would only warn you if you used both spaces and tabs.
          >
          > On Mar 1, 2013 1:56 PM, "Felix E. Klee" felix.klee@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Doc Emmett Splendid
          > > emmett.thesane@...> wrote:
          > > > I also have a strong preference for tabs, as they carry the semantic
          > > notion [...]
          > >
          > > Not to start an argument here, but don't you think that this semantic
          > > information is redundant?
          > >
          > > In a language like JavaScript or C, I see the purpose of indentation
          > > primarily to make code easier to read. In languages such as Python
          > > it's different, but then there is no discussion.

        • Jakob Kruse
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2013
            What I mean is that it did not support using two or more tab characters to represent one level of indentation. One level, back then, had to be exactly one tab character or exactly four space characters. I was one of the people that asked for an option to allow any number of space characters.

            /Jakob

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2013
              Please see my post of Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:01 pm

              Harry.