Re: [jslint] Tabs vs Spaces question

  • Ben White
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
      Typically indentation spaces/tabs are all removed when you run them through
      a minification process, so I personally don't care either way. I think most
      IDEs use spaces though. It might just be more standard across the board.
      On Mar 1, 2013 1:23 PM, "Kirk Cerny" <kirksemail@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am sending this again because I can not believe their are no comments
      > about this.
      > The debate between spaces and tabs has been raging for years.
      >
      > I have been using tabs in my JavaScript because that is the convention
      > throughout
      > the web application I am working on. The application includes PHP,
      > JavaScript, CSS, HTML
      > and other languages.
      >
      > I have been JsLinting my JavaScript code for years.
      > I love JsLint.
      > Recently I have started to get the error of Use spaces, not tabs.
      > What is the reason for this?
      > What is the danger of using tabs?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Ben White
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
        It supports tabs, or did historically...
        On Mar 1, 2013 1:30 PM, "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Kirk Cerny kirksemail@...> wrote:
        > > What is the reason for this?
        >
        > JSLint never supported tabs, as far as I am aware of. You can specify
        > indentation (e.g. `/*jslint indent: 4 */`), but that is for spaces.
        > Possibly it would be a good idea to add another configuration option to
        > specify tabs instead of spaces, or simply: `/*jslint indent: t */`

      • Felix E. Klee
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
          On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Doc Emmett Splendid
          <emmett.thesane@...> wrote:
          > I also have a strong preference for tabs, as they carry the semantic notion [...]

          Not to start an argument here, but don't you think that this semantic
          information is redundant?

          In a language like JavaScript or C, I see the purpose of indentation
          primarily to make code easier to read. In languages such as Python
          it's different, but then there is no discussion.
        • Ben White
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
            Previously it would only warn you if you used both spaces and tabs.
            On Mar 1, 2013 1:56 PM, "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Doc Emmett Splendid
            > emmett.thesane@...> wrote:
            > > I also have a strong preference for tabs, as they carry the semantic
            > notion [...]
            >
            > Not to start an argument here, but don't you think that this semantic
            > information is redundant?
            >
            > In a language like JavaScript or C, I see the purpose of indentation
            > primarily to make code easier to read. In languages such as Python
            > it's different, but then there is no discussion.

          • Jakob Kruse
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
              Actually, prior to the creation of the indent option, jslint only supported "one tab" or "four spaces" for indentation. Personally I only use spaces because every single tab indented file I have ever seen has at some point gotten some level of space indentation added, and since different users display one tab as a different amount of spaces, it always ends up destroying the indentation.

              I would be very keen on hearing Mr. Crockfords reasoning though.

              /Jakob

              Den 01/03/2013 kl. 19.30 skrev "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@...>:

              > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Kirk Cerny kirksemail@...> wrote:
              > > What is the reason for this?
              >
              > JSLint never supported tabs, as far as I am aware of. You can specify
              > indentation (e.g. `/*jslint indent: 4 */`), but that is for spaces.
              > Possibly it would be a good idea to add another configuration option to
              > specify tabs instead of spaces, or simply: `/*jslint indent: t */`

            • Kirk Cerny
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
                I am not sure what you mean as one tab.
                Did you try it in the JsLint version from 5 months ago.
                It accepts my code file tat has at least 5 tab levels of indentation.

                http://web.archive.org/web/20121002022418/http://jslint.com/

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
                  I (the person that asked the question in the first place) like to use
                  spaces.
                  But the code base I am currently on uses tabs.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2013
                    What I mean is that it did not support using two or more tab characters to represent one level of indentation. One level, back then, had to be exactly one tab character or exactly four space characters. I was one of the people that asked for an option to allow any number of space characters.

                    /Jakob

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2013
                      Please see my post of Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:01 pm

                      Harry.