Re: Switch Case Style

  • benquarmby
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi Steve,

      I think I know what you're talking about, but the whitespace didn't come through properly in your examples. You may wan to retype your example with tilde (~) for spaces and ensure the line breaks stick.

      Cheers
      Ben

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "paperlampshade" wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I have a question about Switch Case style as verified in jslint.A switch
      > case written as below (case statement starting on the line after the
      > switch statement) will give many errors regarding the expected position
      > from line "case 1:" to line "output = "";".
      > var test = function (input) { 'use strict'; var output; switch
      > (input) { case 1: output = "a"; break;
      > case 2: output = "b"; break; case 3:
      > output = "c"; break; default: output = "";
      > } return output;};
      > However when the same statement is written with the "case 1:" statement
      > beginning one space after the switch "{" and the closing "}" one space
      > from the "output = "";" line, there is no errors found.Example below:
      > var test = function (input) { 'use strict'; var output; switch
      > (input) { case 1: output = "a"; break; case
      > 2: output = "b"; break; case 3:
      > output = "c"; break; default: output = "";
      > } return output;};
      > Why is it important to have switch case syntax as in the second example?
      > Thanks very much!
      > Steve Hansen

    • paperlampshade
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
        Hi Ben,

        Oh shoot, sorry about that. Hopefully this will come through better:

        I have a question about Switch Case style as verified in jslint.

        A switch case written as below (case statement starting on the line after the switch statement) will give many errors regarding the expected position from line "case 1:" to line "output = "";".

        var test = function (input) {
        ~~~~'use strict';
        ~~~~var output;
        ~~~~switch (input) {
        ~~~~~~~~case 1:
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~output = "a";
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~break;
        ~~~~~~~~case 2:
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~output = "b";
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~break;
        ~~~~~~~~case 3:
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~output = "c";
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~break;
        ~~~~~~~~default:
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~output = "";
        ~~~~}
        ~~~~return output;
        };

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "benquarmby" wrote:

        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > I think I know what you're talking about, but the whitespace didn't come through properly in your examples. You may wan to retype your example with tilde (~) for spaces and ensure the line breaks stick.
        >

        > Cheers
        > Ben
        >
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "paperlampshade" wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > I have a question about Switch Case style as verified in jslint.A switch
        > > case written as below (case statement starting on the line after the
        > > switch statement) will give many errors regarding the expected position
        > > from line "case 1:" to line "output = "";".
        > > var test = function (input) { 'use strict'; var output; switch
        > > (input) { case 1: output = "a"; break;
        > > case 2: output = "b"; break; case 3:
        > > output = "c"; break; default: output = "";
        > > } return output;};
        > > However when the same statement is written with the "case 1:" statement
        > > beginning one space after the switch "{" and the closing "}" one space
        > > from the "output = "";" line, there is no errors found.Example below:
        > > var test = function (input) { 'use strict'; var output; switch
        > > (input) { case 1: output = "a"; break; case
        > > 2: output = "b"; break; case 3:
        > > output = "c"; break; default: output = "";
        > > } return output;};
        > > Why is it important to have switch case syntax as in the second example?
        > > Thanks very much!
        > > Steve Hansen

      • Felix E. Klee
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
          On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM, paperlampshade <beefo@...>
          wrote:
          > ~~~~switch (input) { case 1:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > Why is it important to have switch case syntax as in the second example?

          Looks strange. The following formatting is IMHO easy to read and it
          is accepted by JSLint:

          var test = function (input) {
          'use strict';
          var output;
          switch (input) {
          case 1:
          output = "a";
          break;
          case 2:
          output = "b";
          break;
          case 3:
          output = "c";
          break;
          default:
          output = "";
          }
          return output;
          };

          BTW, just post emails in plain-text and no need to insert these ugly
          `~`.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "paperlampshade" wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I have a question about Switch Case style as verified in jslint.A switch
            > case written as below (case statement starting on the line after the
            > switch statement) will give many errors regarding the expected position
            > from line "case 1:" to line "output = "";".
            > var test = function (input) { 'use strict'; var output; switch
            > (input) { case 1: output = "a"; break;
            > case 2: output = "b"; break; case 3:
            > output = "c"; break; default: output = "";
            > } return output;};
            > However when the same statement is written with the "case 1:" statement
            > beginning one space after the switch "{" and the closing "}" one space
            > from the "output = "";" line, there is no errors found.Example below:
            > var test = function (input) { 'use strict'; var output; switch
            > (input) { case 1: output = "a"; break; case
            > 2: output = "b"; break; case 3:
            > output = "c"; break; default: output = "";
            > } return output;};
            > Why is it important to have switch case syntax as in the second example?

            Thanks. Please try it now.
          • paperlampshade
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
              Works great! Thanks very much.