Re: [jslint] regex parsing - [^]

  • Felix E. Klee
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
      On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:01 AM, george_weilenmann <abyssoft@...>
      wrote:
      > Given that this is unique to JavaScript I'd say that JSLint is in the
      > right as it is confusing.

      So, which regular expression syntax should JSLint enforce? POSIX? Is
      that even compatible with the implementation in JavaScript?

      Given that there are many dialects of regular expressions and not one
      single authoratitive standard, in my opinion, JSLint should enforce:

      Regular expressions as defined by ECMAScript. :-)

      (minus dangerous constructs)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Felix E. Klee" wrote:

        > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:01 AM, george_weilenmann
        > wrote:
        > > Given that this is unique to JavaScript I'd say that JSLint is in the
        > > right as it is confusing.
        >
        > So, which regular expression syntax should JSLint enforce? POSIX? Is
        > that even compatible with the implementation in JavaScript?
        >
        > Given that there are many dialects of regular expressions and not one
        > single authoratitive standard, in my opinion, JSLint should enforce:
        >
        > Regular expressions as defined by ECMAScript. :-)

        One of the design principles behind JSLint is that if a feature is problematic, and if it can be completely replaced with another feature that is less problematic, then the more problematic feature should not be allowed. In making that determination, the following are irrelevant: It is permitted by a standard. It is sometimes useful. It is totally awesome. It is popular.
      • John Hawkinson
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
          douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Sat, 19 Jan 2013
          at 13:20:21 -0000 in <kde6il+8gnb@...>:

          > One of the design principles behind JSLint is that if a feature is
          > problematic, and if it can be completely replaced with another
          > feature that is less problematic, then the more problematic feature
          > should not be allowed.

          It would really help if the documentation explained why [^] was
          excluded.

          --jhawk@...
          John Hawkinson
        • george_weilenmann
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
            from http://www.regular-expressions.info/javascript.html

            JavaScript implements Perl-style regular expressions. However, it lacks quite a number of advanced features available in Perl and other modern regular expression flavors:

            No \A or \Z anchors to match the start or end of the string. Use a caret or dollar instead.
            Lookbehind is not supported at all. Lookahead is fully supported.
            No atomic grouping or possessive quantifiers.
            No Unicode support, except for matching single characters with \uFFFF.
            (Note form me on this: only the oldest implementations suffer this limitation today)
            No named capturing groups. Use numbered capturing groups instead.
            No mode modifiers to set matching options within the regular expression.
            No conditionals.
            No regular expression comments. Describe your regular expression with JavaScript // comments instead, outside the regular expression str

            [^] is confusing and definitely should be avoided.