CSS * selector throws error when in style block

  • george_weilenmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2013
      Unexpected '*'.

      Rationale for acceptance:

      The * selector in CSS, also known as the universal selector, is useful for setting styling to the full array of possible tags and all descendants of an ancestor without having to be verbose about the DOM tree involved.

      One common use is
      * {font-family:<fonts>;}

      Restrictions that are reasonable
      When naked the * selector should be the 1st line within a style block, as this applies to all elements regardless of location in the DOM tree. When clothed the * may not be the first selector indicated unless html is the second (this is to accommodate common CSS hacks for IE, yes we all hate that blasted bane.)

      invalid: * <additional selector(s) except html>
      valid: * html {css hacks}
      valid: body * {}
    • george_weilenmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
        Would also like to see CSS 3.0 style attributes added as modern browsers now support them. And those that don't can have graceful fallback.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "george_weilenmann" wrote:

          > Would also like to see CSS 3.0 style attributes added as modern browsers now support them. And those that don't can have graceful fallback.

          Can you be more specific?
        • george_weilenmann
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
            Directives Missing
            @media
            @keyframes FF 16+, IE 10, Opera 12.10; Chrome, Android, Safari 4, Opera 12, with prefix,
            @import [url] list-of-media-queries the @import works currently only for [url], list-of-media-queries aids in RWD.
            @page used to make printing style adjustment most useful for printable material.
            While there are a few others they do not yet have widespread support and are considered experimental or highly experiemental

            Selectors missing

            * universal
            E[attr|="val"] attribute contains hyphenated values example span tag with lang attribute having value en-us
            :only-child pseudo
            :lang(fr) `this one looks like it has some support in JSLint but is buggy when you have language code present it throws 'Expected ')' and instead saw 'fr'.' and when missing states expected language code.`
            all 4 pseudo elements ::first-line ::first-letter ::before ::after

            E ~ F sibling selector

            CSS 3 Missing properties
            Multiple values on
            background-image & background-position, strangely background-origin already supports this in JSLint.
            background-repeat, additionally the values round and space throw an error.

            CSS 3 values

            calc is either fully supported or supported with prefix. This one being quite useful for some styles of RWD.
            hsl(0-360, 0-100%, 0-100%) & hsla(0-360, 0-100%, 0-100%, 0.0-1.0) both have support in modern browsers.
            CSS Gradients (specs http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#gradients)
            rem units for length (spec http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#rem-unit)

            Prefixes
            While prefixes are not an Ideal, they do allow for experimentation and presenting more advanced items where supported. FF finally adopted the -webkit- in conjunction with -moz- prefix; again graceful failure can be done here. Top 4 prefixes in use are -webkit-, -ms-, -moz-, -o- listed current market share order as listed in the use log of Wikimedia Oct 2012.

            That looks like a good start. As time permits I will look for others that are currently missing support / under-supported / have errors.

            Thank you.