Re: [jslint] Node not defined

  • Felix E. Klee
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
      On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Ian Toltz <itoltz@...> wrote:
      > if (nodes[i].nodeType === Node.TEXT_NODE) {

      Any reason why you don't use `window.Node.TEXT_NODE`?
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Ian Toltz <itoltz@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I get the error
        > > >
        > > > 'Node' was used before it was defined.
        > > >
        > > > From the line:
        > > >
        > > > if (nodes[i].nodeType === Node.TEXT_NODE) {
        > > >
        > > > I do have the "Assume a browser" option on.
        > > >
        > > > I believe this to be in error, as Node is one of the pre-defined objects
        > > in
        > > > JS (at least in a browser, not sure if that's the case in other
        > > > environments) like Math.
        > >
        > > Can you please cite the relevant standard?
        > >

        > Since the original poster hasn't replied:
        >
        > http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html
        >
        > That spec - which so far as I know is implemented by all the current
        > browsers - introduces a rather large number of new global objects into the
        > browser. And that spec is not alone, given the rapid pace of browser
        > evolution at the moment.

        That document describes a rather large number of interfaces, which may be interesting in the abstract because JavaScript, as you know, does not have interfaces.

        Can you please identify a standard that makes these things global or properties of the window object?
      • Joshua Bell
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
          On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>wrote:
          > >
          > > > **

          > objects
          > > > in
          > > >
          > > > Can you please cite the relevant standard?
          > > >

          > > Since the original poster hasn't replied:
          > >
          > > http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html
          > >
          > > That spec - which so far as I know is implemented by all the current
          > > browsers - introduces a rather large number of new global objects into
          > the
          > > browser. And that spec is not alone, given the rapid pace of browser
          > > evolution at the moment.
          >
          > That document describes a rather large number of interfaces, which may be
          > interesting in the abstract because JavaScript, as you know, does not have
          > interfaces.
          >
          > Can you please identify a standard that makes these things global or
          > properties of the window object?

          That would be the ECMAScript binding of WebIDL:

          http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#ecmascript-binding

          Web standards typically define IDL fragments and by reference to WebIDL,
          interfaces in these fragments are exposed as properties of the ECMAScript
          environment.