Re: [jslint] Re: Node not defined

  • Felix E. Klee
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
      On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...>
      wrote:
      > [...] introduces a rather large number of new global objects into the
      > browser.

      They should all be accessible via the `window` object, or am I missing
      something?
    • Felix E. Klee
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
        On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Ian Toltz <itoltz@...> wrote:
        > if (nodes[i].nodeType === Node.TEXT_NODE) {

        Any reason why you don't use `window.Node.TEXT_NODE`?
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Ian Toltz <itoltz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I get the error
          > > >
          > > > 'Node' was used before it was defined.
          > > >
          > > > From the line:
          > > >
          > > > if (nodes[i].nodeType === Node.TEXT_NODE) {
          > > >
          > > > I do have the "Assume a browser" option on.
          > > >
          > > > I believe this to be in error, as Node is one of the pre-defined objects
          > > in
          > > > JS (at least in a browser, not sure if that's the case in other
          > > > environments) like Math.
          > >
          > > Can you please cite the relevant standard?
          > >

          > Since the original poster hasn't replied:
          >
          > http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html
          >
          > That spec - which so far as I know is implemented by all the current
          > browsers - introduces a rather large number of new global objects into the
          > browser. And that spec is not alone, given the rapid pace of browser
          > evolution at the moment.

          That document describes a rather large number of interfaces, which may be interesting in the abstract because JavaScript, as you know, does not have interfaces.

          Can you please identify a standard that makes these things global or properties of the window object?
        • Joshua Bell
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
            On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>wrote:
            > >
            > > > **

            > objects
            > > > in
            > > >
            > > > Can you please cite the relevant standard?
            > > >

            > > Since the original poster hasn't replied:
            > >
            > > http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html
            > >
            > > That spec - which so far as I know is implemented by all the current
            > > browsers - introduces a rather large number of new global objects into
            > the
            > > browser. And that spec is not alone, given the rapid pace of browser
            > > evolution at the moment.
            >
            > That document describes a rather large number of interfaces, which may be
            > interesting in the abstract because JavaScript, as you know, does not have
            > interfaces.
            >
            > Can you please identify a standard that makes these things global or
            > properties of the window object?

            That would be the ECMAScript binding of WebIDL:

            http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#ecmascript-binding

            Web standards typically define IDL fragments and by reference to WebIDL,
            interfaces in these fragments are exposed as properties of the ECMAScript
            environment.