RE: [jslint] Re: return statement flagged as syntax error

  • Rob Richardson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2012
      Tom,

      Thanks for the link. That was an incredibly cool video. Thoughts I
      particularly enjoyed:

      - "Optimize for perfection, not for cleverness"
      - "Programs need to communicate clearly with people"
      - "I'm not saying it isn't useful, I'm saying there isn't a case where it
      isn't confusing"
      - "Confusion must be avoided because confusion creates the condition which
      creates bugs"
      - "Clearly communicate intent"
      - "Forms that hide defects should be considered defects"

      By the way, you noted it was his opening quote that referenced JSHint, but
      it actually was the final comment in the video. (42:00) You might want to
      fix that bug. :D

      Rob

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2012
        the quotes you mention get to the core of the fundamental difference of
        opinion between JSLint's supporters and critics.

        the general considerations reflected in the quotes are so important that
        they sweep all my personal style preferences into irrelevance. now that i
        really accept this (for many years i did not) it just makes no sense for
        me to take issue with any given rule in JSLint. to truly prioritize
        quality and then argue for accommodation of ones own style preferences is
        incoherent.

        btw: i don't believe i said anything about where in the video douglas'
        remark about JSHint arises. yes, it is all the way at the end.

        another that i particularly like:

        "The contract we have with the machine is that if the program is in any
        aspect, at any time, and in any way, imperfect with respect to any of its
        inputs, the computer has license to do anything it wants. And it can often
        do the worst possible thing, and at a time of its own choosing, which
        could be the worst possible time. And when that occurs the fault is not
        the computer's, it is the programmer's. So our programs have to be
        perfect."