[jslint] Re: return statement flagged as syntax error

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2012
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, John Hawkinson <jhawk@...> wrote:

      > douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012
      > at 02:00:02 -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
      >
      > > Fix your code.
      >
      > It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
      > It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
      > It would be so easy to be polite.
      >
      > Why is it necessary to be rude?

      In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are past explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can take it or leave it. So can you.
    • Rob Richardson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2012
        douglascrockford <douglas@... <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> >
        wrote

        > douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 at 02:00:02
        > -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
        >
        > > Fix your code.
        >
        > It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
        > It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
        > It would be so easy to be polite.
        >
        > Why is it necessary to be rude?
        >
        >In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are past
        explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can take it
        or leave it. So can you.

        http://anton.kovalyov.net/2011/02/20/why-i-forked-jslint-to-jshint/
        http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=802 (17:16 starts a
        wonderful discussion, but the whole show is great)
        http://www.hanselminutes.com/332/coneryminutes-1 (12:30 starts a descent
        sound-byte, but the whole conversation is excellent)
        http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/09/how-to-respond-to-negativity.html

        Douglas,

        1. I'm sorry you feel the need to be so negative and terse when people are
        asking for your advice.
        2. You've definitely reached a great point of knowledge and experience in
        your career, and others may not have that vision.
        3. You release some really great tools, and I'm so glad you're helping to
        enlighten, educate, and build the JavaScript community.

        Rob
      • Tom Worster
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2012
          "There are always going to be stupid people who don't want to get it
          right. For them it's really good that JSHint is available." --
          http://vimeo.com/25606006

          as i've said before, JSLint isn't for everyone.

          i accept JSLint's preferences over my own because i doubt my own skills
          and can't be sure who will work on my code in future. it clearly makes no
          sense for me to argue with JSLint. there's nothing for me to gain from
          that.

          on the other hand, a programmer of superlative skill and confidence, who
          knows that her code will be maintained only by completely reliable
          programmers, and who has strong feelings about style that differ from
          those of JSLint -- that programmer has good reason to set their own
          standards and write their own tools.

          so, it appears i don't entirely agree with douglas' opening quote. but i
          think he was not thinking of these preternaturally talented programmers
          but of another category of people, those that think JSLint is wrong but
          still want some version of it to give their code its OK.

          as for polite/rude... i live in boston where traditionally the locals are
          terse, direct and forthright. it doesn't bother me.

          On 10/4/12 2:38 PM, "Rob Richardson" <erobrich@...> wrote:

          >douglascrockford <douglas@... <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> >
          >wrote
          >>
          >> douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 at 02:00:02
          >> -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
          >>
          >> > Fix your code.
          >>
          >> It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
          >> It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
          >> It would be so easy to be polite.
          >>
          >> Why is it necessary to be rude?
          >>
          >>In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are past
          >explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can take
          >it
          >or leave it. So can you.
          >
          >http://anton.kovalyov.net/2011/02/20/why-i-forked-jslint-to-jshint/
          >http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=802 (17:16 starts a
          >wonderful discussion, but the whole show is great)
          >http://www.hanselminutes.com/332/coneryminutes-1 (12:30 starts a descent
          >sound-byte, but the whole conversation is excellent)
          >http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/09/how-to-respond-to-negativity.html
          >
          >Douglas,
          >
          >1. I'm sorry you feel the need to be so negative and terse when people are
          >asking for your advice.
          >2. You've definitely reached a great point of knowledge and experience in
          >your career, and others may not have that vision.
          >3. You release some really great tools, and I'm so glad you're helping to
          >enlighten, educate, and build the JavaScript community.
          >
          >Rob

        • Rob Richardson
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2012
            Tom,

            Thanks for the link. That was an incredibly cool video. Thoughts I
            particularly enjoyed:

            - "Optimize for perfection, not for cleverness"
            - "Programs need to communicate clearly with people"
            - "I'm not saying it isn't useful, I'm saying there isn't a case where it
            isn't confusing"
            - "Confusion must be avoided because confusion creates the condition which
            creates bugs"
            - "Clearly communicate intent"
            - "Forms that hide defects should be considered defects"

            By the way, you noted it was his opening quote that referenced JSHint, but
            it actually was the final comment in the video. (42:00) You might want to
            fix that bug. :D

            Rob

            <mailto:erobrich%40robrich.org> > wrote:

            >douglascrockford <douglas@...
            ><mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> >
            >wrote
            >>
            >> douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 at 02:00:02
            >> -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
            >>
            >> > Fix your code.
            >>
            >> It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
            >> It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
            >> It would be so easy to be polite.
            >>
            >> Why is it necessary to be rude?
            >>
            >>In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are
            >>past
            >explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can
            >take it or leave it. So can you.
            >
            >http://anton.kovalyov.net/2011/02/20/why-i-forked-jslint-to-jshint/
            >http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=802 (17:16 starts a
            >wonderful discussion, but the whole show is great)
            >http://www.hanselminutes.com/332/coneryminutes-1 (12:30 starts a
            >descent sound-byte, but the whole conversation is excellent)
            >http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/09/how-to-respond-to-negativity.html
            >
            >Douglas,
            >
            >1. I'm sorry you feel the need to be so negative and terse when people
            >are asking for your advice.
            >2. You've definitely reached a great point of knowledge and experience
            >in your career, and others may not have that vision.
            >3. You release some really great tools, and I'm so glad you're helping
            >to enlighten, educate, and build the JavaScript community.
            >
            >Rob

          • Tom Worster
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2012
              the quotes you mention get to the core of the fundamental difference of
              opinion between JSLint's supporters and critics.

              the general considerations reflected in the quotes are so important that
              they sweep all my personal style preferences into irrelevance. now that i
              really accept this (for many years i did not) it just makes no sense for
              me to take issue with any given rule in JSLint. to truly prioritize
              quality and then argue for accommodation of ones own style preferences is
              incoherent.

              btw: i don't believe i said anything about where in the video douglas'
              remark about JSHint arises. yes, it is all the way at the end.

              another that i particularly like:

              "The contract we have with the machine is that if the program is in any
              aspect, at any time, and in any way, imperfect with respect to any of its
              inputs, the computer has license to do anything it wants. And it can often
              do the worst possible thing, and at a time of its own choosing, which
              could be the worst possible time. And when that occurs the fault is not
              the computer's, it is the programmer's. So our programs have to be
              perfect."