Re: return statement flagged as syntax error

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2012
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "octavpo" <octav@...> wrote:

      > That doesn't really address my issue. If the 'Expected' messages could be considered advice, the "Unreachable '=' after 'return'" message is clearly wrong, as the assignment is very reachable. Besides, why does the advice go away when I put the assignment in parentheses? I don't think that makes it better style. Moreover JSLint stops checking my code right after that line, while if I add parentheses it checks all the way to the end. So it really looks like a bug.

      Fix your code.
    • John Hawkinson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2012
        douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012
        at 02:00:02 -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:

        > Fix your code.

        It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
        It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
        It would be so easy to be polite.

        Why is it necessary to be rude?

        --jhawk@...
        John Hawkinson
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2012
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, John Hawkinson <jhawk@...> wrote:

          > douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012
          > at 02:00:02 -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
          >
          > > Fix your code.
          >
          > It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
          > It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
          > It would be so easy to be polite.
          >
          > Why is it necessary to be rude?

          In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are past explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can take it or leave it. So can you.
        • Rob Richardson
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2012
            douglascrockford <douglas@... <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> >
            wrote

            > douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 at 02:00:02
            > -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
            >
            > > Fix your code.
            >
            > It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
            > It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
            > It would be so easy to be polite.
            >
            > Why is it necessary to be rude?
            >
            >In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are past
            explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can take it
            or leave it. So can you.

            http://anton.kovalyov.net/2011/02/20/why-i-forked-jslint-to-jshint/
            http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=802 (17:16 starts a
            wonderful discussion, but the whole show is great)
            http://www.hanselminutes.com/332/coneryminutes-1 (12:30 starts a descent
            sound-byte, but the whole conversation is excellent)
            http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/09/how-to-respond-to-negativity.html

            Douglas,

            1. I'm sorry you feel the need to be so negative and terse when people are
            asking for your advice.
            2. You've definitely reached a great point of knowledge and experience in
            your career, and others may not have that vision.
            3. You release some really great tools, and I'm so glad you're helping to
            enlighten, educate, and build the JavaScript community.

            Rob
          • Tom Worster
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2012
              "There are always going to be stupid people who don't want to get it
              right. For them it's really good that JSHint is available." --
              http://vimeo.com/25606006

              as i've said before, JSLint isn't for everyone.

              i accept JSLint's preferences over my own because i doubt my own skills
              and can't be sure who will work on my code in future. it clearly makes no
              sense for me to argue with JSLint. there's nothing for me to gain from
              that.

              on the other hand, a programmer of superlative skill and confidence, who
              knows that her code will be maintained only by completely reliable
              programmers, and who has strong feelings about style that differ from
              those of JSLint -- that programmer has good reason to set their own
              standards and write their own tools.

              so, it appears i don't entirely agree with douglas' opening quote. but i
              think he was not thinking of these preternaturally talented programmers
              but of another category of people, those that think JSLint is wrong but
              still want some version of it to give their code its OK.

              as for polite/rude... i live in boston where traditionally the locals are
              terse, direct and forthright. it doesn't bother me.

              On 10/4/12 2:38 PM, "Rob Richardson" <erobrich@...> wrote:

              >douglascrockford <douglas@... <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> >
              >wrote
              >>
              >> douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 at 02:00:02
              >> -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
              >>
              >> > Fix your code.
              >>
              >> It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
              >> It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
              >> It would be so easy to be polite.
              >>
              >> Why is it necessary to be rude?
              >>
              >>In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are past
              >explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can take
              >it
              >or leave it. So can you.
              >
              >http://anton.kovalyov.net/2011/02/20/why-i-forked-jslint-to-jshint/
              >http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=802 (17:16 starts a
              >wonderful discussion, but the whole show is great)
              >http://www.hanselminutes.com/332/coneryminutes-1 (12:30 starts a descent
              >sound-byte, but the whole conversation is excellent)
              >http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/09/how-to-respond-to-negativity.html
              >
              >Douglas,
              >
              >1. I'm sorry you feel the need to be so negative and terse when people are
              >asking for your advice.
              >2. You've definitely reached a great point of knowledge and experience in
              >your career, and others may not have that vision.
              >3. You release some really great tools, and I'm so glad you're helping to
              >enlighten, educate, and build the JavaScript community.
              >
              >Rob

            • Rob Richardson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2012
                Tom,

                Thanks for the link. That was an incredibly cool video. Thoughts I
                particularly enjoyed:

                - "Optimize for perfection, not for cleverness"
                - "Programs need to communicate clearly with people"
                - "I'm not saying it isn't useful, I'm saying there isn't a case where it
                isn't confusing"
                - "Confusion must be avoided because confusion creates the condition which
                creates bugs"
                - "Clearly communicate intent"
                - "Forms that hide defects should be considered defects"

                By the way, you noted it was his opening quote that referenced JSHint, but
                it actually was the final comment in the video. (42:00) You might want to
                fix that bug. :D

                Rob

                <mailto:erobrich%40robrich.org> > wrote:

                >douglascrockford <douglas@...
                ><mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com> >
                >wrote
                >>
                >> douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 at 02:00:02
                >> -0000 in <k4iqj2+rjit@...>:
                >>
                >> > Fix your code.
                >>
                >> It would be so easy to explain why this construct is disfavored.
                >> It would be so easy to give a link to a web page.
                >> It would be so easy to be polite.
                >>
                >> Why is it necessary to be rude?
                >>
                >>In his original post he stipulated that the code was bad. So we are
                >>past
                >explanation here. He refused my advice. I repeated my advice. He can
                >take it or leave it. So can you.
                >
                >http://anton.kovalyov.net/2011/02/20/why-i-forked-jslint-to-jshint/
                >http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=802 (17:16 starts a
                >wonderful discussion, but the whole show is great)
                >http://www.hanselminutes.com/332/coneryminutes-1 (12:30 starts a
                >descent sound-byte, but the whole conversation is excellent)
                >http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/09/how-to-respond-to-negativity.html
                >
                >Douglas,
                >
                >1. I'm sorry you feel the need to be so negative and terse when people
                >are asking for your advice.
                >2. You've definitely reached a great point of knowledge and experience
                >in your career, and others may not have that vision.
                >3. You release some really great tools, and I'm so glad you're helping
                >to enlighten, educate, and build the JavaScript community.
                >
                >Rob

              • Tom Worster
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2012
                  the quotes you mention get to the core of the fundamental difference of
                  opinion between JSLint's supporters and critics.

                  the general considerations reflected in the quotes are so important that
                  they sweep all my personal style preferences into irrelevance. now that i
                  really accept this (for many years i did not) it just makes no sense for
                  me to take issue with any given rule in JSLint. to truly prioritize
                  quality and then argue for accommodation of ones own style preferences is
                  incoherent.

                  btw: i don't believe i said anything about where in the video douglas'
                  remark about JSHint arises. yes, it is all the way at the end.

                  another that i particularly like:

                  "The contract we have with the machine is that if the program is in any
                  aspect, at any time, and in any way, imperfect with respect to any of its
                  inputs, the computer has license to do anything it wants. And it can often
                  do the worst possible thing, and at a time of its own choosing, which
                  could be the worst possible time. And when that occurs the fault is not
                  the computer's, it is the programmer's. So our programs have to be
                  perfect."