Yahoo going under?

  • Jakob Kruse
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I would like to suggest that the JSLINT group moves to somewhere
      that's more accessible. Recently colleagues of mine have been unable
      to sign in to Yahoo at all (and so to participate in Yahoo Groups).
      Support is non-existant. Yahoo Widgets has been dead for weeks now and
      Yahoo Mail is reportedly having serious problems.

      Might it be time to move this forum to a place that actually works?

      Regards,
      Jakob
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008

        > I would like to suggest that the JSLINT group moves to somewhere
        > that's more accessible. Recently colleagues of mine have been unable
        > to sign in to Yahoo at all (and so to participate in Yahoo Groups).
        > Support is non-existant. Yahoo Widgets has been dead for weeks now and
        > Yahoo Mail is reportedly having serious problems.
        >
        > Might it be time to move this forum to a place that actually works?

        Yahoo! is still operating and profitable. I don't see any reason to
        move at this time.
      • Jakob Kruse
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008
          > Yahoo! is still operating and profitable. I don't see any reason to
          > move at this time.

          They might be "still operating", but a great number of people,
          including at least one of my friends who is signed up for the JSON
          group, have been unable to login to Yahoo for several weeks. Do a
          search on the matter and you will find many other people in similar
          circumstances. Every attempt at getting some support have thus far failed.

          Having a login-protected group on a network where login is impossible
          does not make sense. Not to me at least (although I am obviously able
          to log in - it seems to be a problem related to relatively new Yahoo
          accounts - create a new account, logout, and chances are you will not
          be able to login again).

          I have also developed a new and more advanced JSLint widget for the
          Yahoo Widget engine. It has now been pending approval for two weeks,
          which is apparently nothing compared to many others (see the forum there).

          Two weeks with absolutely no response from a company such as Yahoo is
          way too long. People are running away. Me included.

          /Jakob
        • Daniel Cassidy
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008
            On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jakob Kruse <kruse@...> wrote:
            >> Yahoo! is still operating and profitable. I don't see any reason to
            >> move at this time.
            >
            > They might be "still operating", but a great number of people,
            > including at least one of my friends who is signed up for the JSON
            > group, have been unable to login to Yahoo for several weeks. Do a
            > search on the matter and you will find many other people in similar
            > circumstances. Every attempt at getting some support have thus far failed.
            >
            > Having a login-protected group on a network where login is impossible
            > does not make sense. Not to me at least (although I am obviously able
            > to log in - it seems to be a problem related to relatively new Yahoo
            > accounts - create a new account, logout, and chances are you will not
            > be able to login again).

            You can read and post messages to the JSLint group with any email
            account, although the option is well hidden. I am doing this precisely
            because I spent nearly an hour trying to create a Yahoo! account
            without success.

            The group then works like any mailing list. This is detailed at the
            bottom of the JSLint group page at
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/jslint_com/ (just above the blue
            'Join now' button -- which will get you nowhere fast).

            Dan.