JavaScript URLs

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2008
      JSLint now rejects a string that starts with 'javascript:'. It
      previously rejected a string that contained 'javascript:'.

      Thanks to Timo.
    • Julien R
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2008
        I've already asked Douglas this question before, and I know that
        JsLint has to hurt my feelings, but I don't understand the need for
        this check.

        For a dynamically generated link bound to a JavaScript function (via a
        "click" event handler which prevents the default action),
        "javascript:;" is in my opinion a better solution than the ubiquitous
        "#" href.

        "#" doesn't identify the target of my JavaScript link. It gives an
        erroneous information to the user (in the status bar or in the list of
        hyperlinks rendered by a screenreader) and will have an unexpected
        behaviour if:
        - The link is put in a bookmark.
        - The link is opened in a new window or tab.
        - The event handler fails (throws an exception).
        - ...