Re: [jslint] Request for warning on TODOs

  • Tom Worster
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2012
      i think this is a job for the ide, not the linter.

      On 5/31/12 10:03 AM, "Luke Page" <luke.a.page@...> wrote:

      >Hi,
      >
      >Not sure if anyone has requested this before, but a common cause of
      >bugs and even more often, maintainence issues, arise because a
      >programmer thinks of a situation/bug and then writes a comment with
      >TODO and then never addresses it.
      >
      >I would like it if this was a non-blocking warning in jslint - at the
      >moment I have an extension that runs a regex to try and find them.
      >
      >What do you think? Is the use of comments with "TODO" in it a common
      >enough coding pattern?
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Luke

    • Luke Page
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2012
        Unfortunately my IDE (visual studio) only does it for c#, not js. But, even
        if it did, its useful as a task list, but I use jslint as a pre-check-in
        and I don't think its right to check in/ leave files with TODOs in them.

        Also I use jslint as part of my ide (I wrote the vs jslint plugin) and that
        plugin uses reg expressions to find TODOS and can put them with the jslint
        warnings, but is rather jslint did it.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2012
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:
          > Not sure if anyone has requested this before, but a common cause of
          > bugs and even more often, maintainence issues, arise because a
          > programmer thinks of a situation/bug and then writes a comment with
          > TODO and then never addresses it.
          >
          > I would like it if this was a non-blocking warning in jslint - at the
          > moment I have an extension that runs a regex to try and find them.
          >
          > What do you think? Is the use of comments with "TODO" in it a common
          > enough coding pattern?

          If I do this, I will dictate the format of the TODO directive, and I will tolerate no whining about it. Is that agreeable?
        • Michael S. Mikowski
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2012
            If you are using web storm or perhaps other ide (like vim with syntax) its already highlighted. As much as I love jslint, I feel this is beyond its original intent and redundant with other tools. For the same reason I do not use jslint's style checking.

            $0.02 - mike

            douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote:

            >--- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:
            >> Not sure if anyone has requested this before, but a common cause of
            >> bugs and even more often, maintainence issues, arise because a
            >> programmer thinks of a situation/bug and then writes a comment with
            >> TODO and then never addresses it.
            >>
            >> I would like it if this was a non-blocking warning in jslint - at the
            >> moment I have an extension that runs a regex to try and find them.
            >>
            >> What do you think? Is the use of comments with "TODO" in it a common
            >> enough coding pattern?
            >
            >If I do this, I will dictate the format of the TODO directive, and I will tolerate no whining about it. Is that agreeable?

          • Martin Cooper
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2012
              On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Michael S. Mikowski
              <z_mikowski@...> wrote:
              > If you are using web storm or perhaps other ide (like vim with syntax) its already highlighted. As much as I love jslint, I feel this is beyond its original intent and redundant with other tools.  For the same reason I do not use jslint's style checking.

              I agree, a linting tool should stick to static analysis of the code.
              It shouldn't be trying to interpret my comments. That would be
              overreaching, IMO. There are other tools that will point out to-do
              items, manage your doc comments, verify copyright notices, etc. And
              even if you don't have any other tools, plain old grep does a fine job
              of locating to-do comments and showing you file and line.

              --
              Martin Cooper