Re: [jslint] The library underscore

  • Martin Cooper
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10 2:52 PM
      On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM, douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote:
      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I agree. The same problem is encountered by everyone using Node.js who
      >> also wants to use JSLint, because Node.js creates the predefined
      >> variables __dirname and __filename. Douglas's response, when I
      >> reported that as an issue, was "Take your complaint to Nodejs".
      >>
      >> https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSLint/issues/88
      >

      > Did you?

      No, I did not. Converting everyone else's JavaScript to The Good Parts
      is not my crusade.

      As I said in the ticket, my goal is to ensure that the code that *my*
      team writes conforms to The Good Parts, because I believe that's the
      right thing for my team to be doing. But I should not have to choose
      between turning off enforcement of a recommended practice, or
      littering our code with special comments, just because the developer
      of a 3rd party dependency made a decision to use different naming
      conventions.

      Those of us writing real production code very rarely have the luxury
      of writing every line of code ourselves. Thus we rely on libraries and
      toolkits written by others. JSLint should not be penalising us for
      using code that is not under our control, and it's neither realistic
      nor pragmatic to tell us to go convince each of our dependencies that
      they're using the "wrong" coding conventions.

      --
      Martin Cooper