Re: [jslint] The library underscore

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2012
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:

      > I agree. The same problem is encountered by everyone using Node.js who
      > also wants to use JSLint, because Node.js creates the predefined
      > variables __dirname and __filename. Douglas's response, when I
      > reported that as an issue, was "Take your complaint to Nodejs".
      >
      > https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSLint/issues/88

      Did you?
    • Martin Cooper
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
        On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM, douglascrockford <douglas@...> wrote:
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I agree. The same problem is encountered by everyone using Node.js who
        >> also wants to use JSLint, because Node.js creates the predefined
        >> variables __dirname and __filename. Douglas's response, when I
        >> reported that as an issue, was "Take your complaint to Nodejs".
        >>
        >> https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSLint/issues/88
        >

        > Did you?

        No, I did not. Converting everyone else's JavaScript to The Good Parts
        is not my crusade.

        As I said in the ticket, my goal is to ensure that the code that *my*
        team writes conforms to The Good Parts, because I believe that's the
        right thing for my team to be doing. But I should not have to choose
        between turning off enforcement of a recommended practice, or
        littering our code with special comments, just because the developer
        of a 3rd party dependency made a decision to use different naming
        conventions.

        Those of us writing real production code very rarely have the luxury
        of writing every line of code ourselves. Thus we rely on libraries and
        toolkits written by others. JSLint should not be penalising us for
        using code that is not under our control, and it's neither realistic
        nor pragmatic to tell us to go convince each of our dependencies that
        they're using the "wrong" coding conventions.

        --
        Martin Cooper