Re: [jslint] JSLinting HTML document with HTML comment at start

  • Martin Cooper
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2012
      On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM, cse_html_validator <alhome@...> wrote:
      > It seems JSLint cannot check an HTML document if there is an HTML comment at the beginning of the document. Can this be fixed or is there a way around it?

      The DOCTYPE must be the very first thing in the document, so a comment
      before the DOCTYPE is not valid.

      --
      Martin Cooper

      > For example:
      > <!-- test -->
      > <!DOCTYPE html>
      > <head>
      >        <title></title>
      >
      > Generates:
      > Problem: Unexpected '--'.
      >
      > Thank you.

    • Rob Richardson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2012
        A comment before the DOCTYPE sends all versions of IE into quirks mode,
        defeating the purpose of the doctype you've specified. See
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/941100/can-html-comments-appear-before-th
        e-doctype-declaration Move the DOCTYPE line above the comment and you'll be
        fine. It's unfortunate the error message doesn't include this clarity.

        Rob

        It seems JSLint cannot check an HTML document if there is an HTML comment at
        the beginning of the document. Can this be fixed or is there a way around
        it?

        For example:
        <!-- test -->
        <!DOCTYPE html>
        <head>
        <title></title>
        name="generator" content="CSE HTML Validator Professional

        Generates:
        Problem: Unexpected '--'.

        Thank you.
      • Mark Volkmann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2012
          On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM, cse_html_validator <alhome@...>
          > wrote:
          > > It seems JSLint cannot check an HTML document if there is an HTML
          > comment at the beginning of the document. Can this be fixed or is there a
          > way around it?
          > >

          > The DOCTYPE must be the very first thing in the document, so a comment
          > before the DOCTYPE is not valid.

          It is valid according to the HTML spec., but IE doesn't like it.
          See http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/syntax.html
          and
          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/941100/can-html-comments-appear-before-the-doctype-declaration

          --
          R. Mark Volkmann
          Object Computing, Inc.

        • cse_html_validator
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Richardson" <erobrich@...> wrote:

            > A comment before the DOCTYPE sends all versions of IE into quirks mode,
            > defeating the purpose of the doctype you've specified. See
            > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/941100/can-html-comments-appear-before-th
            > e-doctype-declaration Move the DOCTYPE line above the comment and you'll be
            > fine. It's unfortunate the error message doesn't include this clarity.
            >
            > Rob

            Thanks for the information on using comments before the DOCTYPE.

            However, it seems there is no solution to this if one decides they want or need to use comments before the DOCTYPE? Is there anyway to tell JSLint to accept it?

            Albert
          • cse_html_validator
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
              Also, what if the comment is a server macro or something that will be processed by the server so it doesn't show up to the end user? Is JSLint useless for this case? I would hope not.

              > Thanks for the information on using comments before the DOCTYPE.
              >
              > However, it seems there is no solution to this if one decides they want or need to use comments before the DOCTYPE? Is there anyway to tell JSLint to accept it?
              >
              > Albert

            • Sean Kelly
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
                Personally, I prefer to fix my code to follow JSLint's recommendations.
                That said, I also put all my Javascript in .js files and include them using
                script tags so JSLint does not check my HTML, it checks my JavaScript.

                SeanK