Re: [jslint] member names outside ASCII but still in the Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane

  • Tom Worster
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2012
      I like to program in Unicode (☭ = ☃ + π;) but I accept that there can be
      difficulties. One question is what collation JS should use to decide
      equivalence (according to Unicode, whether é is different from e depends
      on locale). Another is that Unicode offers different character sequences,
      and thus different byte strings, to represent the exact same thing (ö and
      ö look the same to me but the first is U+006F U+0308 the second is U+00F6).

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2012
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Tom Worster <fsb@...> wrote:

        > I like to program in Unicode (☭ = ☃ + π;) but I accept that there can be
        > difficulties. One question is what collation JS should use to decide
        > equivalence (according to Unicode, whether é is different from e depends
        > on locale). Another is that Unicode offers different character sequences,
        > and thus different byte strings, to represent the exact same thing (ö and
        > ö look the same to me but the first is U+006F U+0308 the second is U+00F6).

        All JavaScript sees is raw code points, so identifiers that look the same may be different identifiers.
      • Joshua Bell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
          On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Tom Worster <fsb@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I like to program in Unicode (☭ = ☃ + π;) but I accept that there can be
          > difficulties. One question is what collation JS should use to decide
          > equivalence (according to Unicode, whether é is different from e depends
          > on locale). Another is that Unicode offers different character sequences,
          > and thus different byte strings, to represent the exact same thing (ö and
          > ö look the same to me but the first is U+006F U+0308 the second is U+00F6).

          A Globalization API for JavaScript is under consideration on es-discuss,
          for implementation by browser vendors as host objects and/or inclusion in
          the next version of the ECMAScript standard as a module. I believe the
          latest version of the proposal can be found at:

          http://norbertlindenberg.com/2011/11/ecmascript-globalization-api/index.html

          The current proposal includes support for locale-specific collation and all
          the Unicode-goodness you'd expect. This is done with new objects/functions
          - existing JavaScript string comparison operations remain unchanged (i.e.
          continue to operate by ordinal comparison of the 16-bit elements of JS
          strings)

        • Joshua Bell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
            On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...>wrote:

            > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Tom Worster <fsb@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> I like to program in Unicode (☭ = ☃ + π;) but I accept that there can be
            >> difficulties. One question is what collation JS should use to decide
            >> equivalence (according to Unicode, whether é is different from e depends
            >> on locale). Another is that Unicode offers different character sequences,
            >> and thus different byte strings, to represent the exact same thing (ö and
            >> ö look the same to me but the first is U+006F U+0308 the second is
            >> U+00F6).
            >>

            > A Globalization API for JavaScript is under consideration on es-discuss,
            > for implementation by browser vendors as host objects and/or inclusion in
            > the next version of the ECMAScript standard as a module. I believe the
            > latest version of the proposal can be found at:
            >

            > http://norbertlindenberg.com/2011/11/ecmascript-globalization-api/index.html
            >
            > The current proposal includes support for locale-specific collation and
            > all the Unicode-goodness you'd expect. This is done with new
            > objects/functions - existing JavaScript string comparison operations remain
            > unchanged (i.e. continue to operate by ordinal comparison of the 16-bit
            > elements of JS strings)

            ... and to expound on Crockford's point on the other fork of this thread
            (mea culpa!), the above proposal assumes no changes to the ECMAScript
            language itself. Different JS strings (i.e. different sequences of 16-bit
            code points) would remain different identifiers, both in the source and,
            perhaps more importantly, in basic ECMAScript operations like keys for
            objects. e.g. o["ö"] and o["ö"] refer to different properties (assuming my
            clipboard didn't normalize), although other proposed changes in ECMAScript
            may enable collation-aware string maps with that convenient syntax.

            Encoding is still a very real issue on the Web, and you don't want to find
            out that your server thought your script file was UTF-8 while some browsers
            thought your script file was Windows-1252 only after your code is in
            production, so keeping your source code ASCII is still the best practice.

            Are the well known minification tools able to cope with non-ASCII input?

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Bell <inexorabletash@...> wrote:

              > Encoding is still a very real issue on the Web, and you don't want to find
              > out that your server thought your script file was UTF-8 while some browsers
              > thought your script file was Windows-1252 only after your code is in
              > production, so keeping your source code ASCII is still the best practice.
              >
              > Are the well known minification tools able to cope with non-ASCII input?

              JSMin likes UTF-8.
            • Tom Worster
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
                On 1/6/12 11:32 AM, "Joshua Bell" <inexorabletash@...> wrote:

                >On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Tom Worster <fsb@...> wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> I like to program in Unicode (☭ = ☃ + π;) but I accept that there can be
                >> difficulties. One question is what collation JS should use to decide
                >> equivalence (according to Unicode, whether é is different from e depends
                >> on locale). Another is that Unicode offers different character
                >>sequences,
                >> and thus different byte strings, to represent the exact same thing (ö
                >>and
                >> ö look the same to me but the first is U+006F U+0308 the second is
                >>U+00F6).
                >>

                >A Globalization API for JavaScript is under consideration on es-discuss,
                >for implementation by browser vendors as host objects and/or inclusion in
                >the next version of the ECMAScript standard as a module. I believe the
                >latest version of the proposal can be found at:
                >
                >http://norbertlindenberg.com/2011/11/ecmascript-globalization-api/index.ht
                >ml
                >
                >The current proposal includes support for locale-specific collation and
                >all
                >the Unicode-goodness you'd expect.

                Meaning that one script such as öle = olé + 3; does different things in
                different countries?

                öle = olé + 3;

                This is done with new objects/functions
                >- existing JavaScript string comparison operations remain unchanged (i.e.
                >continue to operate by ordinal comparison of the 16-bit elements of JS
                >strings)

                Strings are not the question. Identifiers.
              • Luke Page
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
                  For a real world example, I've seen a bug where an identifier had a с (crylic
                  c) in it written by a russian coder which looked in most fonts the same as
                  c..

                  Still I think it would be nice to not just stamp western standards on
                  programming.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
                    --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:

                    > For a real world example, I've seen a bug where an identifier had a с (crylic
                    > c) in it written by a russian coder which looked in most fonts the same as
                    > c..
                    >
                    > Still I think it would be nice to not just stamp western standards on
                    > programming.

                    What are you trying to say? You gave us clear evidence of why it shouldn't accept both Cyrillic and Latin. So are you arguing that JSLint should only accept Cyrillic?
                  • Luke Page
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2012
                      I'm arguing in favour of the current situation.. for myself, working in
                      English.

                      I should have let someone else for whom it is of benefit argue for anything
                      different.
                      On Jan 6, 2012 9:26 PM, "douglascrockford" <douglas@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > For a real world example, I've seen a bug where an identifier had a �
                      > (crylic
                      > > c) in it written by a russian coder which looked in most fonts the same
                      > as
                      > > c..
                      > >
                      > > Still I think it would be nice to not just stamp western standards on
                      > > programming.
                      >
                      > What are you trying to say? You gave us clear evidence of why it shouldn't
                      > accept both Cyrillic and Latin. So are you arguing that JSLint should only
                      > accept Cyrillic?

                    • Rob Richardson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 7, 2012
                        Programming in general is done in English. I'm sorry to be the dumb
                        American, but that's pretty much how it works. I've heard from many
                        international programmers that using localized versions of developer tools
                        or code documentation is ineffective, and that for as much as English is not
                        their native tongue, English is their preferred programming metaphor. Thus
                        constraining non-string content to ASCII only is likely not a hindrance to
                        many. Perhaps the "bug" is that we've learned some since the book was
                        published.

                        Rob

                        I'm arguing in favour of the current situation.. for myself, working in
                        English.

                        I should have let someone else for whom it is of benefit argue for anything
                        different.
                        On Jan 6, 2012 9:26 PM, "douglascrockford" <douglas@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > For a real world example, I've seen a bug where an identifier had a
                        > (crylic
                        > > c) in it written by a russian coder which looked in most fonts the
                        > > same
                        > as
                        > > c..
                        > >
                        > > Still I think it would be nice to not just stamp western standards
                        > > on programming.
                        >
                        > What are you trying to say? You gave us clear evidence of why it
                        > shouldn't accept both Cyrillic and Latin. So are you arguing that
                        > JSLint should only accept Cyrillic?

                      • Brennan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 24, 2012
                          I'm afraid that I don't accept "that's the way it's always been" or
                          variants as a strong argument. Especially when exceptions can be so
                          readily found.
                          But OK, if I may restate the problem as I now understand it, with some
                          finer nuances:
                          We have a Latin "A" (U+0041) is distinct from the Cyrillic "А"
                          (U+0410) and the Greek alpha "Î`" (U+0391). They look identical, but
                          have different code points. So, going outside of ascii when naming
                          identifiers could cause name-mismatch bugs which would be very difficult
                          to spot. This is indeed a good reason for not accepting those
                          characters.
                          (They look identical as long as they haven't been mangled by passing
                          through some non-unicode system along the way, which appears to be
                          happening with some of the posts on this thread, and maybe this one too.
                          This is a separate problem, and should have no bearing on how jslint
                          behaves or ought to behave. BTW I notice that the web yahoo groups plain
                          text editor interface is not doing 'the right thing' to my non-ascii
                          chars when I preview this message, so I have switched to rich text.
                          Let's see what happens after I send it).
                          But while I respect the basic logic and simple pragmatism of rejecting
                          all non-ascii characters, there must surely be a subset of the basic
                          multilingual plane where the non-ascii glyphs do not resemble any
                          others, and therefore would be 'safe' to code with. Is this a reasonable
                          suggestion?
                          For example, I would like to feel free to use θ (lower case theta,
                          entity θ) for angles (as mathematicians have done for thousands of
                          years), and there are dozens of other non-ascii characters - mostly
                          Greek - which are conventionally used in various problem domains.
                          Theta appears four times in the basic multilingual plane:
                          Θ or entity Θ ( U+0398)θ or entity θ (U+03B8)Ï`
                          or entity ϑ (U+03D1)Ï´ or entity ϴ (U+03F4)
                          All four forms are clearly distinct from one another. To my eyes they
                          are at least as distinct as 1 and I and | and l or O and 0 in ascii. And
                          they do not resemble any other glyphs, least of all those found in
                          ascii.
                          I can see no good reason why such characters should not be tolerated by
                          jslint. (Except perhaps that jslint may be bloated with some kind of
                          lookup table, and - of course - some work always takes more time than no
                          work).
                          Another suggestion would be to make it an *option* to tolerate
                          characters that fall outside of ascii.
                          If I am so perversely traditional (or radical and progressive) that I
                          insist on using θ in my trigonometry script, then I would hope that
                          I know what I am doing. This is not a matter of having my feelings hurt.
                          Rather it seems misleading for jslint to tell me that I did something
                          'unexpected', when the truth of the matter is that I did something that
                          jslint does indeed expect would cause a very particular (but
                          unmentioned) problem. A problem which (in the case of θ) would never
                          happen.

                        • Tom Worster
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 24, 2012
                            On 2/24/12 4:46 AM, "Brennan" <brennan@...> wrote:

                            >But while I respect the basic logic and simple pragmatism of rejecting
                            >all non-ascii characters, there must surely be a subset of the basic
                            >multilingual plane where the non-ascii glyphs do not resemble any
                            >others, and therefore would be 'safe' to code with. Is this a reasonable
                            >suggestion?

                            this leads to a need for a standard resembles($char1, $char2) function.
                            but resemblance is subjective.

                            the ICU SpoofChecker?