Re: escape & unescape

  • Re Miya
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2008
      wrote:

      > escape & unescape do not do url encoding correctly and they are not in
      > the official standard. JSLint no longer accepts them. If you want
      > JSLint to pass crappy legacy code containing them, insert
      >
      > /*global escape, unescape */
      >
      > in your program.

      Hello Douglas,

      This is the first time I heard that escape and unescape do not do URL
      encoding correctly, and are not in the official standard. Where can I
      find more information about this issue? Will this issue be resolved in
      the next JavaScript releases?

      What solution would you propose for escape and unescape?

      Best regards.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Re Miya" <remiya_ws@...> wrote:
        > This is the first time I heard that escape and unescape do not do URL
        > encoding correctly, and are not in the official standard. Where can I
        > find more information about this issue? Will this issue be resolved in
        > the next JavaScript releases?
        >
        > What solution would you propose for escape and unescape?

        See
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsmthescape.asp
      • Fred Lorrain
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
          wrote:

          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Re Miya" <remiya_ws@> wrote:
          > > This is the first time I heard that escape and unescape do not do URL
          > > encoding correctly, and are not in the official standard. Where can I
          > > find more information about this issue? Will this issue be resolved in
          > > the next JavaScript releases?
          > >
          > > What solution would you propose for escape and unescape?
          >
          > See

          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsmthescape.asp

          The link is dead :C
        • Michael Newton
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
            This link is not dead: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Functions/encodeURIComponent

            And just in case it is in the future, I'll spend the extra 20 second to type a message: The recommended function to use is encodeURIComponent instead of escape and decodeURIComponent instead of unescape. These functions work on a single value to be inserted as part of a URI. If you want instead to encode an entire URI, use the encodeURI and decodeURI functions, although these do not encode as many characters.